• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Parking Brake -- rotten birds!

martinmalley

CEG'er
So I stop on my driveway (long, downhill) apply the parking brake. Car moves, pull the lever harder. Something goes click and now the lever doesn't seem to be connected any longer but the car's not moving.

Stupid Killdeer nest in the middle of our gravel driveway every spring. So now the chicks are out and I (for reasons unknown) decided I didn't want to run over them, so I stopped to see if they were still in the nest or if there were in the way.

Head out to work (after not running over said chicks) and the car is dragging! For once (although I could have turned around sooner) I listened to my inner voice and went back home. Both cables were locked up. Disconnected them and headed out again.

Searching this site, I found a good axiom: if your parking brake engages with only 3-4 clicks, the cables are sticking. So now I'll have to find the best replacements.

Rotten birds!

FYI I did find the kit number on this site to order the replacement cables with new springs from Ford.

Looks like the way to go: F6Rz*2A635*AA

Back