• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Parking brake cable with boot - and 1995 models?

phil

CEG'er
Hi!

My '95 Contour GL Duratec (still!) has the infamous original parking brake cables that freeze in the winter. LATER EDIT: Yes, four-wheel disc brakes.

When researching replacement cables, I see old-style cables with the return spring built into the cable assembly (and no boot or bellows to keep water out) that claim to be compatible with '95 to '00 Contours.

I also see the redesigned cable (that doesn't have a return spring - it requires the new spring on the caliper itself) that include the boot - but claim to be compatible only with '97-'00 Contours.

Is this right? Is there a way I can get a parking brake cable with boot on the cable end on my '95?

Thanks in advance for any hints!

Rear drums or discs?

Every year rear disc brake e-brake cables will fit any year with rear disc brakes. Get the cable with the boot and add the return spring to the caliper e-brake arm. Actually, I would put 2 return springs on the caliper e-brake arm.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, four wheel disc on my Contour.

I found the picture of your doubled-up return springs. Looks like a great idea!

So, the remaining question: Team Ford Parts claims Ford doesn't make the return springs any more. Does anyone stock the springs - or do I start scrounging at salvage yards?

Are you looking at the cables individually or in the kit? If they are in the kit they springs should come with it. But then again the last time i got a parking brake kit was years ago.

I'd love to find the kit, but - sadly - it appears that Ford has discontinued it (this info through discussion with Team Ford Parts, just this morning). Team Ford's site even claims that Ford has discontinued the cables.

I specifically asked them about Ford part number F6RZ-2A635-AA (I believe this is the kit part number, found from an earlier discussion on this board) and they responded:

"We wanted to let you know that the part(s) you ordered have gone obsolete from Ford Motor Company and can not longer be ordered. We did try to locate them from another source but have had no luck so far. So you may have to call around to a salvage yard or a similar source. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

There are several aftermarket sources for the cables - with the boot. But I haven't found a source for the springs.

So... It looks like I have to track the springs down individually - unless someone here knows a source for the kit.

Thanks!

I might even have a spare set of the caliper e-brake arm return springs laying here. I'll try to check tonight for you.

blu_fuz -

Thanks for checking! Yes, I'd make sure they are put into good use. Let me know what you want for them...

Later update: I finally got a set of caliper e-brake arm return springs from the local salvage yard. Sadly, they came from a not-so-bad looking SVT. The yard markings indicated that it had been *driven in* to the yard about a week ago. Oh well - someone's project likely had more challenges than they could deal with...

Next: A set of new-style cables - and some warm weather.

I installed the newer style rear e-brake cables on my '95 when I made the conversion from drums to disc brakes. The rear cable "dirt boot" was worn out/broken. I attempted to cross over the specs to a Dorman part, with the assistance of my son who works for CarQuest. No luck. I am currently "bootless", but still have frozen rear discs during freezing temps. I made sure I lubed and greased the cable well, before install. I am attempting to spec a silicon boot that will work, with tie-wrap attachment. They are out there.

Last time I bought cables I got the Raybestos from Rockauto. They have boots and return springs on the cable (look like OEM). The helper spring on the caliper arm was added later to increase return force. Some like blu_fuz IIRC put two on for even more tension.

Edit: Havn't looked at car yet maybe they don't have the springs (see later comments). They do have the boots and OEM rubber noise prevent bumpers. Pro grade #BC95736.

Last time I bought cables I got the Raybestos from Rockauto. They have boots and return springs on the cable (look like OEM). The helper spring on the caliper arm was added later to increase return force. Some like blu_fuz IIRC put two on for even more tension.

My understanding is that the rear e-brake cables return spring was deleted when the spring was added to the caliper arm.

^ that could be.

I'm not sure that my '95 had built in springs on the ebrake cable but it did have caliper return springs. Maybe the caliper springs someone added before I got the car.

I just purchased a NOS set of '95 disc brake ebrake cables so I can see if they have the built in spring or not.

^ that could be.

I'm not sure that my '95 had built in springs on the ebrake cable but it did have caliper return springs. Maybe the caliper springs someone added before I got the car.

I just purchased a NOS set of '95 disc brake ebrake cables so I can see if they have the built in spring or not.

Would be good to know. I have been asked by a number of members for a listing of "parts used" when doing this conversion. I find the one largest "obstacle" is the rear brake flex lines - which to use during the conversion process.

The 1995 contour rear disc brake ebrake cable does not have any built in spring.

1798661_10153794578085394_1627841673_n.jpg

Lol, no prob for the info but I can't reveal my sources for parts. I assure you this was the last set of 1995 ebrake cables for disc brakes in his inventory :cool:. My current cables are good, but was hoping to install these and sell my used ones..... just don't know if I want to go through the hassle right now or hold onto them and do it on a rainy day.

TOTALLY UNDERSTAND!!! My local Ford dealer was able to locate a set (actually a few more). Seems they are all stocked back in the "Rust Belt" - imagine that ;-)

Edit: Havn't looked at car yet maybe they don't have the springs (see later comments). They do have the boots and OEM rubber noise prevent bumpers. Pro grade #BC95736.

I installed Raybestos cables from RockAuto on my '98 CSVT. They are have perfect fitment and are great quality. I paid around $60 for both cables.... well worth it!

Back