• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Parking brake cable bellows: Where to buy?

RCSchulz

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Anybody know where I can buy replacement bellows for the brake lever end of the parking brake cable? Or a substitute that has worked well for you? (2000 Mercury Mystique V-6 manual transmission)

I checked the Ford online parts sites that have links to CEG & didn't find any such bellows offered.

The first 100 hits in a Google search for "brake cable bellows" included some for Vespa & Lambretta scooters and Triumph cars. and maybe there's one for Contours & Mystiques among the other ~40,700 listings, but I thought I'd ask the CEG first.

I had the rear calipers replaced awhile ago. A few days ago, when the car was exposed to below freezing, one or both of the rear brakes wouldn't release completly until the car warmed up. The repair shop told me they'd have to replace the cables, which would cost several hundred dollars, due to having to drop the exhaust system. Today I looked at the cable-brake linkage, and saw that the bellows is missing. So, I think water is getting into the cable sheath, which slopes downward from its anchor point, and freezing. I'll take up the issue with the repair shop on Monday, but it will be easier if I can tell them where they can buy the bellows.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

i dont think you can get just the bellows and even if you could just replacing them isnt going to solve your problem. you will need to replace both ebrake cables. you can get a complete kit from Bill Jenkins for about $70 and they can be installed at home with minimal tools.

its really not that hard to replace. several hundred dollars is complete theft. unhook the rear of the exhaust and set the piping on a jack stand, assuming u have the rear of the car raised and supported. then they tricky part is undoing the weird screws holding the heat shield above the cat. it'll take a little finessing to get the 2 lines into the yoke of the ebrake lever. did it a few winters ago, and the rear brakes have never stuck again during winter

Back