• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Options of repairing a broken sway bar bracket?

LilCe98

Hard-core CEG'er
As the title states I'm looking for options to repairing a broken sway bar bracket. Right now I'm just running a stock SVT 19mm sway bar, but I have a BAT bar that I would like to eventually put on. I had a shop try to weld the bracket back but it broke again after about a month. The shop said they couldn't re-weld the bracket and I would have to probably replace the subframe. I saw that BAT sold reinforced subframes for a pretty penny. Is that my only option?

Thanks

Picture:
thumbnail.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Cut away the old mounts. Then take 1" solid square steel. Cut into 2 lengths about 3.5"(just an estimate) then get energy suspension bushings with brackets and hold them up and mark where the hole is and drill and tap the new mounts then weld into place.

Heres a finished pic of mine. I failed at the first attemt with som square tube steel and then cut that away but some of it is still there.
Contour017..jpg

Cut away the old mounts. Then take 1" solid square steel. Cut into 2 lengths about 3.5"(just an estimate) then get energy suspension bushings with brackets and hold them up and mark where the hole is and drill and tap the new mounts then weld into place.

Heres a finished pic of mine. I failed at the first attemt with som square tube steel and then cut that away but some of it is still there.
View attachment 12809

Nice! Maybe I can take this pic to a shop and see if they can fabricate something or you can come to VA and help me out :D. Unfortunately I don't have the tools, space, or know how to do it myself.

Was reading Solo's how-to on the bracket mod -- is there a way to do it without dropping the RSF? Not sure how to drop the exhaust to get the sub frame out. Would like to avoid if possible

Was reading Solo's how-to on the bracket mod -- is there a way to do it without dropping the RSF? Not sure how to drop the exhaust to get the sub frame out. Would like to avoid if possible
the exhaust is easy. unbolt it at the cat and take it off the 5 hangers, unbolt the knuckles from the arms and undo the 4 bolts holding the subframe up. easy gig.

Back