• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ok im lost and tired

the coil pack that your plug wires connect to. once that is removed you can feel that box. remove the cover. the sides of it are clips push in and pull off. once that is done take off the two nuts. they are 13mm take the cables off and take fuse off. inspect the fuse. i always replace fuses that arent seethrough just for good measure. put the two cables on their respective posts after the new fuse is put in place. then reinstall everything

ok guys stupid question but here go's I connected the two wires that connect to te mega fuse thinking that the fuse is there to connect these together and still nothing i tried hooking up another battery nothing i haven't gotten to taking the fuse completely out yet but now i hear a clicking coming from my alarm system that i didn't have before so im wondering if there is a way for me to rewire the car without the after market alarm system? i have the haynes manual somewhere in my garage but i remember it had a cougar on the cover.

did you put a new battery in the car like a good checked battery, or at least charged the battery back up? if not its a big waste of time to try to remove the alarm. a dead battery wont let you test anything. make sure its 12.4V before trying anything.check the voltage at the battery before, while, and after cranking.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I did the 3.0 swap on my CSVT after driving it about 60 miles its died and would not start back up. ive taken it to 5 different shops and all of them are clueless.

symptoms:
powers fine everything comes on but when you turn the key to start it nothing the dash stays lit but the cd player shuts off. the ECm has recently been (as o f today) replaced and its doing the same thing. im lost and im tired of screwing with this thing and im tempted to just scrap it and send i to the junkyard if something does'nt give soon.

I need sugestions here guys

LOOK AT:
Where the engine harness screws into the chassis harness......
the square plug where the harness coming off the engine meets teh square plug fixed to a bracket on the left hand strut tower, right in front of the brake master cylinder.
Unbolt that and look to see if any pins are bent.
Check your grounds on your battery, the one by the power steering resevoir, the one on the RH engine mount bracket that goes to the firewall, the one that goes to the transmission from the LH fender.
Check the connection at the (+) battery terminal and the inline plug.

Corrosion is becoming a big issue in these cars as many approach 8-9 years old.

Ok so new battery= nothing
is the mega fuse supposed to be between the two terminals on the black box below the coil?
i removed the alarm and now i can hear the click of the relays when the key is turned. but still then i turn it to the start position i get nothing tomorrow i will check the ignition itself.
anyone want to buy this hunk? 3k
ive put the 3l and the intake new tranny (re manned) and clutch and a few little shiny things to go in it like door sill covers and SVT decals where the FORD emblems go and a new battery

oh btw when i turn the key i don't even hear the fuel pump kick in

Last edited:
Clutch position sensor? I know of another CEGer who had that problem. I didnt read the whole post, but check the clutch position sensor on the clutch pedal.

No. He has a battery or battery voltage issue.

No reason to sell the car over that.

You need to invest in a $30 Ohm Meter from Radio shack and learn how to use it....if you don't have one already.
Then you need a wiring schematic printout, that can be provided by someone on here.
Then just start measuring voltage in certain places and you'll quickly find the issue.

i have a multi meter that does Ohms and i know to how to read one if some one wants to send me the wiring diagram that would be nice as far as the Clutch position sensor how do i test that?
and as i said i bought a new battery and it still does not work. ive checked the grounds as mentioned above as well as the mega fuse which im not sure is present the plastic cover mis n ot there and there is no fuse that i feel but im not sure what i should be feeling for.

ok ive concluded that there is no mega fuse what does this look like so i can go buy one.

Last edited:
and heres a stupid question the key has a chip in it no? could that have gone bad? if so how can i test it? aside from taking it to ford

if you have no spark and you've checked all the grounds, altenator, PCM
I would say the next thing you should would be the crank position sensor. If the computer doesn't get any input from CKP sensor it doesn't know the that engine is being cranked and will not give it any spark. This will cause a no start condition. Check the CKP with a DVOM. KOEO the signal wire(use wiring diagram) should have 5 volts running thru it and the ground wire should have close to zero volts. if not, you have just diagnosed your problem. don't give up yet eliminate one step at a time.

to test the clutch engage switch or clutch position switch. Use your DVOM (ohms-meter) i think the switch only has 2 wires , so first you would need the check the resistance specs for that component then unplug the switch, red lead to one prong black lead to the other prong. make sure your test leads are connected to the switch and not the plug. What is your reading? PM me when your ready to test it and i'll get the specs for you.

thanks for the input but i have no idea where any of these are can you spell it in 3rd grader for me?

heres what a mega fuse looks like. and the second one is how they are installed. similar to the car.
all_mega.jpg

mega_2.gif

one end of the fuse goes on each stud. then the alt cable goes one one stud and the starter cable goes one the other one, then the nuts hold them down and tight.

koeo = key on engine off
dvom= digital volt and ohms meter
CKP= crank position sensor

the CKP is that sensor right next to the crankshaft pulley its a 2 wire sensor (1 wire is a computer signal wire and the other is a ground wire)

the clutch switch is under the dash on the drivers side
it is a the top of the clutch pedal

ok well ill take a look at it again tomorrow im really starting to say f this car and finish my project (what was supposed to be my project not this thing) if anyone wants her make me an offer

Wait, this may not be the solution but he said he had his ECM replaced. Did the car ever work after you had the ECM replaced. If it hasn't I'd go back to the old ECM and see what happens.

i replaced the ECM with a new (refurb) from ford and they kept it so i cannot go back to the old one
and it never worked with the new one and died with the old one. i dont think there is a mega fuse in her and even if u find the electrical problem the starter sounds like it shot when i try to start it from under the hood. give me a list of sensors and locations to chekc ill do it andd get back to you guys

Last edited:
So you turn the key to run and the pats light flashes? Not solid? I have to agree with Warmonger double check the grounds at the battery, especially the small plate with the small wires on it. I had what sounds like a similar problem and I screwed with it for an hour and a half before finding out it was a bad connection between that plate and the battery post bolt. Clean it REAL good, the bolt, both nuts, and the plate. Do you hear the fuel pump cycle when you turn the key to run?

Good Luck!
Dan

Wait, this may not be the solution but he said he had his ECM replaced. Did the car ever work after you had the ECM replaced. If it hasn't I'd go back to the old ECM and see what happens.

this is a great question .... whats the answer?

If you changed the ECM, doesn't that affect the PATS system??

yes it does as after the 98 the PATs was internal to the PCM ... so if you swap the PCM you need to have your keys programmed to it ...

i replaced the ECM with a new (refurb) from ford and they kept it so i cannot go back to the old one

did Ford do the work or did you swap the PCM? if you did it you need to take the car to ford and have them program the keys to the PCM otherwise the PATs will prevent the car from starting!

if the PATs led is flashing rapidly when you try to start the car and you don't hear the fuel pump PATs has disabled the car

Last edited:
Back