• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil light flicker/flash

fixed it...loose tensioner

fixed it...loose tensioner

Got the problem fixed. We just tightened up the tensioners, put everything back together and drove it around tonight. The problem appears to be fixed. I ran it around plenty long enough to heat the oil up and I never saw the oil light come on.

So...for future reference to anyone else who comes across this problem, here's another story confirming that these oil pumps are not always the culprit of a flickering oil light, and sometimes...if you just put an engine back together then its possible you didnt tighten your tensioners up enough, or at all, like in our case.

So thanks for all the helpful replies, and I hope this can help anyone else someday.

nice one, as ive said before glad you sorted it out, as u know its a scary thing to see the oil light flicker when the engine is warm, but a bit of investigation soon found your problem and mine as well :)

nice one, as ive said before glad you sorted it out, as u know its a scary thing to see the oil light flicker when the engine is warm, but a bit of investigation soon found your problem and mine as well :)

oh cool. so yours was the loose timing gear as well? glad to hear u sorted it out. i've got almost 2500mi since the overhaul and havent seen the oil light since and the car drives like a champ, better than ever. and no CELs either and I have headers, MIL eliminators really do work. lol

i know this is an old thread but do you guys know if this same problem could be present on a 3L? this sounds exactly like the problem i am having with my sable. the light comes on solid under 1000 rpms when hot. also noticed the oil looks like metalic paint in the filter is it too late for this engine? if so i want to try and put a low mile 04-05 3L in it. the car is a 2000 if that helps.

Back