• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oh so windy (pics of our "fun")

frenchblueC2

amusé par les flatulences
So we got some crazy winds Thursday night.
It uprooted and destroyed a bunch of trees in the area, so needless to say, power lines were also taken down.

Our neighborhood was flanked by multiple downed trees/power lines. Most of the city was back up within a couple hours Thursday night/early Friday.
Our power came back around 2:30 pm today.

Mike's work also had outages, so they said not to bother to come in Friday morning.
My company had power, so it was business as usual. Not many people showed up from what I hear. I sure as heck didn't.
Finding breakfast that morning was a challenge because there were a good chunk of people from this area all without power and searching for some hot coffee to start the day.

We showered at my mom's house in the afternoon, then ran a couple errands.
We also borrowed a Honda generator from my older brother. We had to travel a bit for gas too, especially a station not already crammed with tank fillers.

We bastardized an extension cord and had heat Friday night. aww yeah
We also ran a line to use on small appliances and help the fish tank filter and heat back up.
We saved bare essentials from the refrigerator in a cooler. Thankfully I didn't need to run back out to get ice - we already had plenty available.

It was actually kind of fun. Sort of like camping with minimal electrical and water available.
However, it was starting to get pretty old too. All that time off available and all we wanted to do was play video games. :p

add insult to injury - we got about 5 inches of the super heavy wet snow overnight. That took a while to clean up. I want to now search the weather sites to see if they have old recordings of the radar, and watch the crazy ish that was going on overhead.

Anyway here are some pics. After having breakfast and lunch out on Friday, I just didn't want to eat out anymore, so I decided to use up some of our food, rather than let it go bad.
I was looking to try out a chicken corn chowder recipe anyway. (delicious btw)

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i290/klafortune/Feb storm/

some samples

wiring fun
IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

Just in case of pilfering (it'll slow them down anyway - bedroom window is right above the action too)
IMG_0367.jpg

food prep
IMG_0368.jpg

beer had to be consumed ;)
IMG_0373.jpg

breffast
IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Last edited:
Damn pookie... Sorry to hear, you look really hawt in your jammies makin breffast

Good thing for the generator.

If we loose power we loose water also, nice well water, with radon filtering system so we don't glow at night.

The power venter went out on the oil burner here about a month ago. Had to wait till morning to buy one, no hvac guys had one on the truck. House got down to 55 went to walmart and picked up 5 oil filled heaters, and got a fire going in the fireplace. After picking up a replacement motor for 212.00 in the moring and fixing the burner, even throwing in a new blower motor for the flame box. Two zone had frozen pipes, good thing they didn't burst. Took hours to find it. Running around the house with a blowdryer and knocking holes in walls and cutting flooring...

I knew I should of jumped the damn circulator pump and open the zone control valves. It would of kept the water moving. I still have to cut a bigger access in the floor to get some of that pipe foam on there to protect them from the draft. Then fix the draft....

For anyone that does have a power vent for your exhaust on the furnace, make sure when it's service they have the correct oil, and that they really do oil the power venter motor. It's outside exposed to everything and will seize up if not taken care of.

that sucks that you guys had no power for so long.
and as mike probably knows by now...power came back on at work a little before 11.
the thing i find funny, is they emailed every ones work email saying it was ok to come in to work....hmmm most people dont have access to their email remotely.
fools.

we actually made it through mostly unscathed, just some branches and trash blown around.

you guys should have come down here last night...video games and beer!!!

got a fire going in the fireplace.
My parents did this in the '08 ice storm and it significantly raised the home temperature even after a few days. Alternative heat sources FTW.

When I got gas last night I saw several people pull up specifically to fill gas cans. Some areas of town did get hit hard. I was only out of power for ~3 hours -- an insect screen flew away, but nothing worse.

To be honest, I am still surprised that you guys got hit so hard, being in Manch.

Glad to hear it didn't wreak too much havoc. After hearing the amount of snow that was forecasted for NE, it sounds like it didn't turn out quite so badly.

Was also glad to see that your car is safe...surely nobody will be able to steal it with that generator bike-locked to it. :crazy:

We went out for dinner in town last night and drove by insane amounts of downed trees (we had to take a lot of detours). Some of them in the old neighborhoods, so they were really old/big trees. It kinda makes me sad that so many trees came down.
It is going to take a long time for all of these trees to get cleaned up.

It was really a crazy storm! Some people I know still have no power (5 days counting). There aren't many problems down here, but if you head northward into town the roads are covered in pine needles and small branches.

One of my insect screens flew behind my neighbor's truck. When I removed the other screen on that wall, I noticed that the screens were not latched down at all - I'm lucky I didn't lose more.

A friend of mine was without power for a week last year when the ice storm hit. He was sort of an idiot though. He has a massive diesel generator that we use to run his CNC machine since it needs 3 phase power. The guy never hooked his house up to the gen set, just the work shop.

I'm going to have to take a few pictures of the forest by our house... plenty of down limbs and such.

Which reminds me... now I have to run out into the back yard and see what other damage might be out in the mild.

Back