• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

OEM Ford SVT Clutch kit 450$!! Shift tower bolt replacement?

1999contour

CEG'er
Wow, just wen to the ford dealership to order the shift tower bolts, collets, and maybe clutch kit.

Bolt = 6.08
Collets = 25$
clutch kit (Disc, PP, tob, slave cylinder) = 450$

Needless to say i did not order the clutch kit. Can order a spec for that price. Any ideas on whats best for close to stock?

Now for the questions:

My friend used to have an se with v6 5spd and it would engage when the clutch was about 2 inches off the floor board, while my SVT is almost all the way out before it engages. Is this just an adjustment issue or clutch going? I have never had it slip or anything, and there is only 80K on it. Should i bother replacing the whole works right away?

My shift tower bolt is the reason for the work, and is stuck in 1st gear. A guy that i know has a shop and does all his work for 25$ an hour and works pretty efficiently (swapped a motor in my grand am in 4 hours so 100$.) anywho he said he would pull the tranny out for me but would not open it up. Once he has it out it seems like the bell housing has to come off and then just get it into neutral and pull the tower out of the top of the tranny replace the bolt and find the old one. This sounds too simple to me, or is it really not that hard once the tranny is out?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sorry i guess this sould be moved to the mtx75 section... please move if you feel the need.

Last edited:
This is where I got mine a few months back. These parts are not only close to stock, the numbers match!(right from the Ford supplier for the PP & disc) Anyway...not sure if the TOB is same as what you get from Ford, but mine turned out to be faulty. Could have happened from any source I guess. Now I've heard of local dealers offering for similar prices, but I heard that AFTER I bought. Oh well...

As for your bolt issue...not gonna comment. No experience with that, but cracking the case is cake. Just had mine apart for a bad diff....yeah, right after a clutch job :nonono:. Some guys have all the luck.

alright... that is good to hear about cracking the case... hopefully i can do this all myself.. i am pretty handy and do most of my repairs myself.

That kit for svt? I don't really know if there is much difference i guess. For 200 shipped i would be stupid to pass up the deal. PM Sent

svt clutch kit is like $220 plus shipping from teamfordparts.com iirc.

also if the shift tower bolt broke you need to open teh mtx up to find the bolt head. if you don't you could put a hole in your mtx case. it isn't hard to open up, just a number of bolts and then you lift the bell housing half straight up and off.

as far as cracking it open goes i think i will be alright, but is it pretty easy to get into neutral from 1st from inside the case?

If i have it figured out right the forks would have to come towards the passenger side of the trany?

as far as cracking it open goes i think i will be alright, but is it pretty easy to get into neutral from 1st from inside the case?

If i have it figured out right the forks would have to come towards the passenger side of the trany?

not sure, the gears need some force to engage when out of the case and without the shift fork. it should be able to be done.

yes the forks slide on two different shafts on one side of the mtx. once the case is openned you need to slide the shafts out to remove the shift forks.

My friend used to have an se with v6 5spd and it would engage when the clutch was about 2 inches off the floor board, while my SVT is almost all the way out before it engages. Is this just an adjustment issue or clutch going? I have never had it slip or anything, and there is only 80K on it. .

my mtx still grabs verry high, even after i replaced my clutch kit.(exedy kit from ebay $220)
iv looked over everything and cant see any adjustment. im thinking that maybe just replacing the clutch master cyl, will change where the clutch grabbs. its probly something that goes wrong with them, or just a defect or something,idk. i was also thinking of just shortening my rod going to the master.

common thing hey

common thing hey

I'm lucky I have a new 29" Gary Fisher X-caliber to ride around. I haven't had to insure my cordoba or fix my mystique.. this stupid bolt thing. I'll do it I have the 98 disc but I don't own the tools yet and need to make a list and find reasonable prices. if i'm stuck in 4th and you were in 1st then its just a different fork.

replace the clutch? how about the diff?

I ordered an SVT clutch package from LV Ford a few days ago. The price was posted as $246. After paying , I got an email from Bill Reed yesterday and the price is now changed to $300, retroactively. I'll probably just cancel the order.

Its too bad Tousley Ford doesnt have a better online ordering system, or even just ever answer email.. I'd probably just buy the clutch there instead.

Back