• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

OEM Carbon Fiber Hoods Group Buy - 1998-2000 Contour

Bingo. The weight variation between several of them also would give an idea of how consistent their process and finish is.

CKTour98 has one, as does the PRT car I believe, so they should know.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these aren't new hoods, they are just leftovers from a production run that ended years ago. People have been running these hoods for years.

Someone PM me the details for this company... I'll get this GB going. Even if I have to buy two hoods and sell one later... I hate waiting for something like this. I can sell one of these on flea bay for a profit after the fact pretty easily I'd imagine.

Also can we get some pics of the underside of the hood? I'm curious to see what the skeleton looks like and how many layers of CF they use with respect to fiberglass... I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier... can you take a flash light and shine it from one side and see if you can see the light coming out the other? A lot of these companies really go cheap and use one layer of CF (aesthetic layer) and then use fiberglass for the remainder of the hood. This in itself is not worth very much given you can buy 3k 5.7oz 2x2 twill CF at 60" wide at $40-45 a yard if you bought it in low quantities... so for ~$140 you can have at least 3 layers of CF... if you made it yourself... well plus resins, gel coats, time to make a mold, etc. This takes a lot of time and money, which is why it has taken me so much time to do my trunk. So if the quality, and price is right... I'm willing to pay to avoid all of this time needed for making my own. I'm guessing this is where rollinstylee is concerned with weight as this would be a good indicator of how much fiberglass they used.

The group buy is going on, there is no need to call, we just need to get the names of the people who want to be in, and organize the payments.

I already posted pictures of the underside of the hood, its on page 4 of this thread, check the attachments

The group buy is going on, there is no need to call, we just need to get the names of the people who want to be in, and organize the payments.

I already posted pictures of the underside of the hood, its on page 4 of this thread, check the attachments

Well it's just that I figured if someone who was actually going to be in the GB helped organized it would be smoother sailing and there would be more modivation to get it moving along. I saw the pictures, but there wasn't really any close ups of it. Also I'd still like to see the flash light test... that is a very good indicator of number of layers.

If there is 5 people, we can start getting this group buy off the ground.

Everyone who is on the list, should confirm and we can collect the payments and have the hoods start shipping out.

If there is 5 people, we can start getting this group buy off the ground.

Everyone who is on the list, should confirm and we can collect the payments and have the hoods start shipping out.

Can you contact and get the information that was requested? Number of layers of CF and fiberglass used or weight of the hood? Also were you able to do the flash light test?? Thanks

Alright seriously this should not take that long to get an answer... can some one forward me this companies contact info??

I would NOT recommend using CHASER unless there is someone who is willing to take the money to their hand and is readily available to go down there to see what is going on. They have taken lots of peoples money and just walk away. The sales persons who worked there are always changing and its a damn shame because they make decent stuff. The owner is a complete douche bag and I met them in person to buy something for my MR2 which fit horribly and then they decided to raise the price after I drove a couple hours there from NJ to MD..... They also pretty much stole peoples money on the MR2 forums and have a bad reputation on several others. I actually bought something from their ebay auctions since I was protected from my CC and ebay. It came cracked and broken and they wanted me to wait for the UPS insurance claim which typically takes a couple days. They pushed it out for sometime longer, and since I knew they suckI filed a claim with paypal just a couple days before my claim period expired.

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND EVERYONE STAY AWAY FROM CHASER! As much as I would love a CF hood, I would rather watch everyones back on this forum!

- amyn

Yeah this was discussed in the last thread, so there's no need to rehash it. Manimillion obviously had a good experience. From my experience with them through a local forum the main problems centered around horribly fitting replica body pieces made by them and their refusal to stand behind their work. Luckily they didn't make these hoods so that won't be an issue.

Their shop is less than 2 hours from me so I plan on picking it up to save on shipping. If people are having issues with their orders I can certainly inquire while I'm over there.

Well some things came up at work and I didn't have a chance to call them. I do however have tomorrow off so I'll call them in the morning.

I motion to ban

I motion to kick you in the nuts.

However seriously... some people were let go... not fun. Bit of a scramble to make sure everything was in order before people left today. Last thing on my mind was a phone call to ask these guys questions on their hoods.

Last edited:
Back