• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

NPG Rear Caliper Carrier Clearance Measurements

SkullV

Veteran CEG'er
Does anyone know exactly how much the rear carriers need to be clearanced for the NPG kit? I have a buddy with a full machine shop that will take care of it for me, but he would need a measurement to work with.

While we're at it, anyone know what the final rotor thickness should be of the front CSVT rotors turned down to fit?

well I would say that depends. How much are you turning down the rotor? That will determine how much the caliper bracket needs to be openned up.

I would ideally like to have it turned down as little as possible to make it fit properly. I guess this is just going to be a "grind to fit" job.

I guess this is just going to be a "grind to fit" job.

This is the only real answer.

It's a terrible job, because you actually have to mount up the rotor and bracket and torque it down to spec EVERY SINGLE TIME you try to fit it, because the clearance is so tight. I had mine on and off a hundred times over an all-day fitting/grinding/filing session.

To top it off, I couldn't fit a new set of pads on it, either - the caliper wouldn't open up enough to allow fresh pads to fit around the larger rotor. So I had to re-use my old rear brake pads.

^^Yep. Its a bastard of a job. All day affair with the chop saw. I know I am going to get the safety guru's upset with this one. But it worked perfectly. I took my chop saw and taped the safety lid up out of the way...and WEARING GLOVES....I took the caliper mount and used the side of the chop saw blade to shave the inside down.

I DIDNT turn my rotors down either, as I had NICE zinc coated drilled and slotted rotors I purchased from gomach1. And that coating has held up better than ALOT of other companies.

Here is mine after powdercoat and fully rebuilding the calipers....cant even tell.
0602012015.jpg

DSCF0026-1.jpg

Back