• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

no brakes!

I suppose they could go bad, but have never seen it. I always just clean those parts up super clean and reuse 'em. Make sure any part that is supposed to pivot or swing or move does so freely, I generally do NOT use any lube there. Lube attracts dust which makes them gum up. Those parts are generally hardened anyway, at least the gear teeth.

Are the adjusters supposed to have a spring on them?

Also, when I go to step on the brake, it shimmies pretty good until I get slowed down quit abit.
I have looked and I only see stuff about the 'spring' on the front calipers needing to be on properly. This is ok on mine. Any other ideas?
Thanks.

Are the adjusters supposed to have a spring on them?

Also, when I go to step on the brake, it shimmies pretty good until I get slowed down quit abit.
I have looked and I only see stuff about the 'spring' on the front calipers needing to be on properly. This is ok on mine. Any other ideas?
Thanks.

are you sure its the rear brakes that are shimming? most brakeing happens up front and is probably a warped rotor.

No, I was talking about the front calipers and that I had only read about the spring that needs to be on properly. Also, again, evrything is new except for the brake lines and booster.

thats my vote also...i had a simliar situation. i kept bleeding it and kept adding fluid. the breaks eventually started to work again. good luck

There is no "self adjuster" mechanism on the front brakes. They self adjust automatically by virtue of how they're designed.

Back