• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

No A/C compressor

To my knowledge you just need a shorter belt and the AC compressor can be bolted off. The "no AC" option belt should work just fine. Don't go on my word though, as I have not done it myself.

You wouldn't get any noticable performance gains out of doing this, when the a/c is not on the compressors clutch is disengaged and there is next to no resistance required to spin it. Although since your a/c doesn't work and if you have no plan on repairing it you might as well get a belt that bypasses the compressor, but don't expect much.

You wouldn't get any noticable performance gains out of doing this, when the a/c is not on the compressors clutch is disengaged and there is next to no resistance required to spin it. Although since your a/c doesn't work and if you have no plan on repairing it you might as well get a belt that bypasses the compressor, but don't expect much.

I completely disagree. I notice SIGNIFICANT power loss when using A/C.

No, no, no

No, no, no

Just leave it alone... The a/c compressor is not providing any resistance when your not using it. It only causes power loss when you decide to turn it on inside the car.

Getting the shorter belt will NOT provide any difference, i guarantee it.
If the compressor clutch is working right, it spins like an idler when its not engaged, ergo no resistance

I would only suggest the other belt if the clutch was stuck on.

The only performance gain would be some weight savings and possibly and I mean a small possibility, you may gain a tiny bit of higher rpm HP, but totally nothing you will notice under the gas pedal.

If you are absolutely sure you will never repair the compressor then why not...save some weight and slap on the belt from a non-AC engine.

This may hurt the re-sale value, but if you don't care, then just do it.

You guys cannot be serious in suggesting that your pathetic Zetecs have just as much power when the AC is on than when it is not on...

I completely disagree. I notice SIGNIFICANT power loss when using A/C.

You guys cannot be serious in suggesting that your pathetic Zetecs have just as much power when the AC is on than when it is not on...

you didn't read the posts right. there is a significant power loss when the A/C is on. but there will not be a noticable difference if the compressor is bypassed since the pully "free wheels" when the compressor isn't engaged.

I agree that the compressor drains engine performance when it is on , however I have not used it for over a year because I never recharged the AC with freon. I tried to bend the line to fit with my headers and it messed up the round part with the o-ring that connects to the compres.. So being old ,I just don't want it to cause my engine to work harder ..Heard that the pulley could become seized over time..Have not checked if the pulley spins freely or not..

What about the compressor sensor? Okay to leave it disconnected?

I guess I'll just get a smaller/non A/C belt

The only performance gain would be some weight savings and possibly and I mean a small possibility, you may gain a tiny bit of higher rpm HP, but totally nothing you will notice under the gas pedal.

If you are absolutely sure you will never repair the compressor then why not...save some weight and slap on the belt from a non-AC engine.

This may hurt the re-sale value, but if you don't care, then just do it.

Yeah I'll give it a try..I can always slap the compressor back in and also..Who is going to buy a 230,000 mi. Contour going on it's 2nd rebuild? People don't care that everything is pretty much new in it , they just see the miles and run away..:laugh:

Back