• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Newer PCM (possibly SVT) in a pre-98

Suneil did have a 98 SVT and the very first few had a different bezel around the actual FM antennae on the trunk. His car did not recognize PATS at all. Which means his original ECU may not have supported it either.

Last edited:
So you're saying that the audio/radio antenna was used for the PATS? The key fob antenna (remote locking, trunk solenoid, panic alarm) is located in the passenger side A pillar and the receiver box is under the dash behind the glovebox. The PCM is close so I don't see why Ford wouldn't keep all the components in close proximity to minimize wire runs. Was his car a E0?

The PATS ring I pulled from an early 98 E0 has all the wiring running in to the main harness which is attached to the steering column (ignition, airbag, turn signals, wiper controls, etc.). It appears to run towards the PCM but there's a lot of wires in that bundle and I didn't pull the whole harness and untape it to verify. A wiring diagram would be the only other way to figure it out.

Bradness is getting way too confused here.

95-98 = chrome antenna base
98.5-00 = plain black antenna base

It has nothing at all to do with the PCM. He is just saying it was a 98 model because of the antenna base, therefore RJL1 PCM and external PATS unit.

Bradness is getting way too confused here.

95-98 = chrome antenna base
98.5-00 = plain black antenna base

It has nothing at all to do with the PCM. He is just saying it was a 98 model because of the antenna base, therefore RJL1 PCM and external PATS unit.

If he had of used the usual terminology (E0 or E1) I would have understood what he was talking about. Where's this external PATS unit located?

Let's make this simple and specific. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF AN RJL1 PCM WILL WORK IN A 1996 DURATEC MTX APPLICATION OR DOES THE PATS THROW US A CURVEBALL?

I dont think PATS will be an issue at all. Someone said they were able to plug in the PCM to a 96 and it cranked, which if PATS was a problem it woulnd't have even cranked.

The only thing I can see as a possible issue is what pinouts are different between the 96 PCM and the 98 PCM. It sounds like there are only like 2 pinouts that are different, that Octane Adjust and the High Speed Fan?

If he had of used the usual terminology (E0 or E1) I would have understood what he was talking about. Where's this external PATS unit located?

Let's make this simple and specific. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF AN RJL1 PCM WILL WORK IN A 1996 DURATEC MTX APPLICATION OR DOES THE PATS THROW US A CURVEBALL?

One more time. On Suniels car that ADC installed a turbo kit on, we were having issues with a chip for a different RJL1 that the customer said would not fire due to PATS. We plugged the chip into Suniels car and it cranked over. To make sure he had PATS we installed another RJL1 computer and it cranked over. Conclusion = We could not use Suneils car to test the chip because on the early SVT's PATS was not a part of the equation and the ECU would work. If a Pre 98 does not have PATS the RJL1 ECU should work. How do we identify early SVT models? They still had the chrome antennae ring.

I've started tracing some of the pinouts for the 98 PCM and it appears there will not be a PATS issue as the wires coming from the PATS ring do not lead directly to the PCM. However, some of the pinouts appear to be in different locations (eg: PO #46, wire colour BK/WHT on a 96=high speed cooling fan relay, PO #46 on 98=not used, BK/WHT wire is used at PO #70 on 98). So there could be functional issues.

Does anyone have a schematic for the early 98 PCM c/w descriptive info. on circuit pinout functionality? All I can find is pinout info. as it equates to wire colours. Haven't found the circuit chart detailing wire colours to circuit functionality.

The 98 Ford CD I have causes my PC to crash/lock up.

Well I grew a pair and simply swapped my XXY2 for the RJL1 SVT PCM and gave it a rip. The car cranks when I turn the key but wont turn over. Does this sound like a PATS issue? Some of the custom tunes we've tried on my XXY2 did the same thing, but I dont know if its related or not. Any opinions?

when i did a "full" svt swap into my 96 i wanted to do the same thing your doing..no luck. i even brought the car to a sct tuner..had him disable pats(or try to) nothing...even had him try to copy all the svt ecu specs onto a chip and use it on my 96ecu...still nothing. i think if you can get the key for the svt pcm and all the external pats wiring/antenna you can get it to work

Back