• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New member! Looking to buy part

m.callihan

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hi all.

My name is Mark and I recently bought a 1998.5 SVT Contour about 5 months ago. It has about 200,000 miles on it and needed some TLC but now it is up and running better than ever.

I am now attempting to add a bit of sound to my CSVT, as the stock exhaust is very quiet. I purchased the trubendz tubing kit, got everything ready to go, got under the car and realized… at some point, someone must have replaced the cat, but did a poor job. It appears that the cat and resonator should be separate from each other, but on my car they have been welded together. (Parts 4 and 5 on the attached image)
Does anyone have any ideas? Otherwise, maybe I can cut part of the mounting bracket out of a 2.0/2.5 contour at our local junk yard? (Junk yards are strict right now and will not let you purchase an entire cat).
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• EAC116B1-B609-4DAE-81D9-57DAA6AAA602.jpeg
    EAC116B1-B609-4DAE-81D9-57DAA6AAA602.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 6
  • A2EC6918-0C00-42DA-9F55-FB7E9C6757E7.jpeg
    A2EC6918-0C00-42DA-9F55-FB7E9C6757E7.jpeg
    527.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
You can always install an aftermarket universal high flow cat. Most exhaust shops will stock them and be able to install easily and use whatever adapter flanges or piping that will be required to make it fit. I assume you’re trying to install a cat back exhaust.

Last quote I got on one was a couple years ago at over $400 CDN. However where I live we have no emissions restrictions and my SVT has had no cats since 2001. Either way, have an exhaust shop make some adapters and add a high flow cat, which will also increase sound but keep emissions and fuel smell down. My car stinks of fuel with no cats and I hate it.

Back