• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Complete Exhaust

cntrnewb

New CEG'er
Hi all, I have a serious question before I end up wasting money and getting nowhere. My wifes car needs a completely new exhaust as she is having cat failures and the pipes are rusty as hell. I was thinking of purchasing a completely new exhaust system but cant find anything on the net. I look under the car and noticed there are like 3 converters is this accurate? is a 97 V6 manual contour. I'm pretty sure its the duratec v6. Where can I find an exhast setup for her car and do I need all those cats? I'm a Honda guy so this contour is a new experience for me as far as tuning goes. Thanks , Oh yeah, how much should expect to pay for it also?

trubendz.com for the exhuast. and you only have one cat. those other two things you see are resonators unless u have an svt then u have three. or just take it to a local muffler shop and have them replace everything.

if you retain the stock cats they are very expensive. depends on your state if you need the cats or not, but I would at least keep the main cat

If you really want to replace everything this is what I would do

MSDS headers/y-pipe or gut the pre-cats
trubendz test pipe with high flow cat
trubendz exhaust kit

thats about the only way to replace everything from internet places

also read this
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=17541

trubendz.com for the exhuast. and you only have one cat. those other two things you see are resonators unless u have an svt then u have three. or just take it to a local muffler shop and have them replace everything.

this is incorrect. all V6 cars have three catalitic converters.

you have to pre-cats built into the exhuast manifolds and one main cat under the car after the y-pipe

thanks guys, i'm used to the 4 cylinders, so a transverse v6 is kicking my tail on modding it. SHe dosent know whether she wants a turbo or supercharger. I run a turbo on mine and i dont like the way a supercharger sounds. What have you all experienced as far as that goes on these cars?

Oh yeah i forgot to add, she wants dual exhaust now, will that a problem too?

What do you mean have the fitment fixed. It will need to go to a shop to be adjusted once installed? What sort of fitment issues have people had with the trubendz setup. Also i read that their CS sucks. Whats your opinion on that too?

What do you mean have the fitment fixed. It will need to go to a shop to be adjusted once installed? What sort of fitment issues have people had with the trubendz setup. Also i read that their CS sucks. Whats your opinion on that too?

yes teh customer service sucks but you will get your order and in a fairly timely mannor.

search around, they have poor fitment. The drivers side muffler and piping was 2 inches to short on mine, everythign else lined up. some have reported that hangers are in the wrong spot etc, but they are the only place that make a bolt on kit for this vehicle anymore. but in the end I am overly happy with how my car sounds and performs, I suggest the resonated borla

resonated borla, got it. Now for these headers, apparently msdsinc is no longer in business or something. Do you have an alternate?

resonated borla, got it. Now for these headers, apparently msdsinc is no longer in business or something. Do you have an alternate?

nope that is backwards, weapon R headers are not available anymore, MSDS are, its $200 or $220 or so now for the raw headers, you need to have them coated and you are good to go, or you can get the whole kit for around $700, headers, y-pipe, coating, hardware etc

Question, when it comes to other performance parts will all of the svt parts fit on a 97 v6?

Cool, im looking forward to this project more and more. So here's what im gonna go ahead and purchase,

HO shorty headers/ypipe, coated from msds and the 2.5" dual exhaust kit with borla muffler. Any other suggestions?

Cool, im looking forward to this project more and more. So here's what im gonna go ahead and purchase,

HO shorty headers/ypipe, coated from msds and the 2.5" dual exhaust kit with borla muffler. Any other suggestions?

sounds like a great start, search about the K&N short ram intake that most here use is another great mod

I've already got that running on her system now. along with eibach springs and kyb gr-2 struts.

does anyone know if the 97 v6 contour is a 2 bolt or 3 bolt flange for the test pipe?

does anyone know if the 97 v6 contour is a 2 bolt or 3 bolt flange for the test pipe?

is it a atx or a mtx?

also if you are getting headers and test pipe at the same time then just make sure you order the same style as you can switch if you want.

but in general

atx = 3 bolt
mtx = 2 bolt 95 to 99
= 3 bolt 2k

Back