• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

new clutch slave cyl but no go!

4banganda5spd

CEG'er
so i spent a few days working on the 96 zetec/mtx contour to replace a blown clutch slave cylinder (lot of work for a part the size of your fist) and now that she's all buttoned up and running...

she wont drive!

she starts and runs like she should,
bled the cylinder properly,
i've got really good clutch pedal feel,
but it wont go when i put the transmission in gear.

we removed the rubber grommet around the bleeder valve to visually ensure there was clutch actuation on the pressure plate when the clutch pedal was depressed and there was.

shifter linkage appears to be operating correctly and clutch assembly itself was also functioning normally as it was before.

it looks to me like the new slave cylinder is not retracting all the way when the clutch pedal is released. after trouble shooting with the help of three other professional mechanics i work with, i'm coming to the conclusion that i spent all that time installing a faulty part.

anyone have any insight into what has happened or what i may have done wrong?

When it is running can you shift it without pushing in the clutch?

There is a difference between the slave cylinder in the V6 and the 4, sure you got the right part?

yes, i can do exactly that.

car running, foot off clutch, and i can select any gear.

i believe the slave cylinder is keeping pressure on the clutch pressure plate at all times.

the failed slave cyl (which had lasted approx 85k miles) was one that came with a spec I clutch i ordered long ago . this new replacement cyl i ordered from RockAuto.com appeared to be exactly the same in comparison, although i did not check the compressed height between the two.

Interesting, I would verify the part number of the slave cylinder. I guess it could be something inside the transmission such as the shifter tower bolt. Have someone else shift the gears back and forth while the engine is shut off and listen to the trans to see if it sounds like it is actually moving the gears.

If you can see the disc move back and forth through the inspection cover then I guess you need to pull it out again and recheck everything.

Interesting, I would verify the part number of the slave cylinder. I guess it could be something inside the transmission such as the shifter tower bolt. Have someone else shift the gears back and forth while the engine is shut off and listen to the trans to see if it sounds like it is actually moving the gears.

If you can see the disc move back and forth through the inspection cover then I guess you need to pull it out again and recheck everything.

Its a 96 so no shift tower bolt to worry about since its rod shift.

if you can shift gears without touching the clutch pedal then the clutch itself isnt engaging. the most logical things are either the wrong slave cylinder (although im pretty sure the Zetec one is the longer of the 2), or a slipping clutch. when you had the trans out, did you inspect the clutch at all? if the slave cylinder blew it was likely spewing fluid out which could have gotten on the clutch.

well, its been sitting up for a while waiting for me to be done being pissed off and have the money to repair it.

since its been resting with pressure on the pressure plate all this while and the friction material could possibly have been ruined, i'm looking at picking up an entire new clutch kit (clutch plate, press plate, slave cyl, alignment tool).

the spec I has always performed extremely well since its install. my only complaint was that the chatter was horrible. everyone always thought there was something wrong with the car. too many jokes about it being a diesel! lol

so looking for something in the sub $300 range that will perform as well and preferably be chatter-free.

what suggestions do you have? the old site used to have vendor links. didnt find them on this new one and what i have found thru searches so far hasnt been too encouraging.

thanks for the help fellas.

i've gone from a performance clutch back to a stock clutch before on another vehicle and i gotta tell you... there's nothing worse!

ugh! just hate the feeling of stepping backwards like that.

so no more vendor links? or i'm just impatient and blind...

lack of funds certainly complicates things. what other suggestions do u have ?

appreciate the help so far.

No offense intended, but considering your mods you don't really need anything more aggressive than a factory clutch. Not to mention that with our cars hydraulic clutch there is very little difference in feel from stock to stage 1. You mention that chatter is an issue for you, any high performance clutch you may find is likely to have more chatter than stock. The fact that you have that much chatter with a properly bled TOB would give me cause for concern anyway. I have a spec stage one on my SVT, it is chatter free with a slightly rougher engagement. Just in case brake fluid contacted your friction surfaces you may want to look at replacing the friction ring on your fidanza. It's cheap insurance.

yeah i hear ya tsSVT. in my case you're most likely correct, and no offense taken. good point with the friction insert for the flywheel. i was thinking the same thing.

like i said the noise was bad but the clutch always felt great and honestly really did grab firmer than the original which would slip at times during high rpm, full throttle shifts. of course i picked up the car used with 58k miles on it. no clue how the original owner drove it, and i certainly gave it hell.

thanks again for the input gents. much appreciated.

Must just be the SVT clutch cuz mine was replaced with OEM just a little after 100K which now has around 70K or so (i'm told by previous owner) and still feels GREAT almost like brand new!! Sorry about your luck tho dude... which ever way you go at least you'll have a working car with a brand new clutch!

wanted to update you guys.

went with an F1 Racing performance clutch kit. picked it up on ebay for approx $270.

car is up and running and feels good. have just over 800 miles on it now and happy with it so far.

also did a timing belt and components job while i had her open. timing belt had jumped a while back before the initial clutch slave cyl problem. already knew i had to do that too.

boy the crap you find out when you do your own work after you've paid someone else to do things for you to "save time and hassle".

its really sad the stuff that some "technicians" will push out the door and not feel bad about it.

anyway, again, the kit works well, came with everything that typically comes with a clutch kit and a really nice clutch slave cyl that has a very sturdy design. looked and felt much more substantial than all the other replacements i've seen up to this point.

glad to have the daily gas saver back on the road and good to be behind the wheel of the old girl again.

Back