• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

need some verification on timing. searched, but very confused

marianiman

CEG'er
so i have an 05 mazda mpv 3l with 26k on it. in the process of swapping the timing cover and i am verifying that i dont need to change the timing sprocket to the other keyway. the crank position sensor is in the same location in both this 3l and the 2.5. please just tell me if im confused. thanks!

If its an MPV motor, your timing cover doesnt have to be swapped, therefore you dont need to mess with the timing sprocket or pulse wheel. Never done an MPV, so I could be wrong.

the only problem i ran into with the mpv 3l timing cover is that the tensioner is on the wrong bank. i should have mentioned im doing a portmatched 3l using both the uim and lim from my old 2.5. swapped timing covers replacing the timing cover gasket with a new one, DID NOT mess with the pulse wheel, and hopefully dropping this bad boy in in a few days.

Sounds about right. Always good to double check tho, I have had to flip a pulse wheel around once the engine was in, wasnt cool.

Back