• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need more power!

thats a bad comparison. a better comparison would be a non svt 2.5 to a 3l. 170hp vs 200hp. if ford had decided to make a "performance" 3L it would have much more than 200hp. but lets face it, its the tq thats the biggest gain in doing the swap.

Well that's sort of my point. It's the heads and the intake manifolds that give you the extra power.. Putting the performance heads on the 3L block makes it a performance 3L!

A full 3L to me feel too...taurusy. What makes an SVT different from a regular Contour or Taurus is it loves to be to revved. You need to keep it in the higher rpms to extract the power out of it, and it's great fun practicing it on a good twisty road. Sure it doesn't have as much down low torque for daily driving, but who cares? It's meant to be a performance car. You lose the SVT-ness of the car with a full 3L I feel like.

Thanks for all of the replies and ideas.

As for mods i forgot to list... The car has SVT cams, Torsen, and poly filled mounts. Still couldnt kick the killer wheel hop though. I do have to work on the launching though. I'm thinking after i swap out my shifter tower, i'm going to head up for another go at it. That was my biggest concern for me, and slowed down my shifting cuz i kep grinding 2nd and 4th. I adjusted the linkage and it was still a no go. Found a •••• load of slop in the tower.

Also, would gutted precats help almost as much as headers? I'm on a budget for the summer due to home repairs :/

Sounds like between all of the suggestions here and fixing some of the issues you've got should really help out your time. If you were shifting 'slow' due to tower issues that alone would slow you down a bit. I bet with the IMRC issue fixed and the shift tower slop problem fixed you'll be well into the 14's especially if you can get a better launch!

The launch is a killer. I had a hard time finding a happy place for it to launch at. I even tried 2nd gear, but it doesnt have enough torque or that. Looks like the shifter tower will be fixed this week or weekend. Probably head back up to the track later on in the summer.

Well that's sort of my point. It's the heads and the intake manifolds that give you the extra power.. Putting the performance heads on the 3L block makes it a performance 3L!

A full 3L to me feel too...taurusy. What makes an SVT different from a regular Contour or Taurus is it loves to be to revved. You need to keep it in the higher rpms to extract the power out of it, and it's great fun practicing it on a good twisty road. Sure it doesn't have as much down low torque for daily driving, but who cares? It's meant to be a performance car. You lose the SVT-ness of the car with a full 3L I feel like.

What? The heads and intake didn't do much for performance. It was mostly the tune and the cams that increased the performance for the SVT.

Ditto that. Plus some sticky tires and a torsen/quaife diff wouldn't hurt. Everyone keeps talking about getting more power but all the power in the world won't get you a decent time if you don't address traction as best you can.

he just put a build trans into the car with a torsen a few weeks ago.

The launch is a killer. I had a hard time finding a happy place for it to launch at. I even tried 2nd gear, but it doesnt have enough torque or that.

Totally missed this. You're definitely experiencing some power delivery issues. From my experience with a 3 liter, 1st gear was almost unusable with power delivery. I was constantly spinning or wheel hopping in 1st. I remember using 2nd gear to pull off from a stop when there was any sort of precipitation. If 2nd gear isn't giving you enough torque to get a good launch you're definitely not getting enough power somewhere. That plus the shifting issues as everyone's mentioned would definitely account for you not being in the mid-14's.

Back