• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need HELP!!!!

BoOgIeMaN_SE

CEG'er
So I decided to do my gauge light mod today with the Matrix 5LED Bulb (#74 too small?.....#194 too big?.....This is your bulb)
I went to put the cluster back and make sure the lights work b4 I button it all back up, and low and behold... They don't work. The only lights that do work are the CEL,SeatBelt,Turn SIgnal's, and so on. WTH? Am I missing something here. Should be as simple as plug and play correct? Or did I get the Wrong bulb? They have so many sheesh...
These are the ones I got...
View attachment 11310
Or should I have gotten these?
View attachment 11309

since they are LEDs they are polarity sensitive. if they dont turn on, spin the socket/bulb assembly 180 degrees and reinstall it.

OK I tried turning them all the same way, positive up positive down and still nothing. Take a look at the pics I have up above to check out the difference in the two connections.
The Bulbs are marked with a plus on one side of each bulb. I am also popping fueses left and right.
Anyone else out there using these same matrix 5 led bulbs? Any insight would be much appreciated.

What you got is probably fine. Unbend the wires so they stick straight out; from the top it should look like this: ----O---- Now push that in to the socket. If it doesn't work then, spin it the other way.

Problem is the Matrix5 bulbs don't have the prongs on them like the old #24's. So what I did is scrape off one side of the connection on both sides to make it work like the prongs. Hope this works.DSCN8521..JPG

Last edited:
Interesting. Not really sure what you can do. I guess make sure the metal contacts are isolated to each half of the base.

This is driving me nuts. I can't get this lighting mod to work at all! I have tried everything. Is there no one out there that has used these #24 Matrix5 Led's from auto illumination?

i used the other ones when i did mine. I had to make sure that the little wire tails stayed 1 on each side instead of looping over and having a contact for each one on both sides. like this.

8-31-2007012.jpg

scrapping off one connection point on each side should work as long as you dont scrap off the same connection on the other side. If you put regular bulbs back in do they work? if not you may have a blown fuse from trying to use them how they came, basically shorting the circuit.

How bright were they for you? Did or do you have hot spots? Yes the OEM bulbs work, I had to put them back in just to see at night. I had them working the other day after I finished scraping off the double connection, but notice that the twist lock's were kinda loose. So I took it back apart and tightened up the twist locks by bending the metal prongs up a little bit , so they fit tighter. Went to test it and now all I do is keep blowing fuses left and right. This suck cause these bulbs wern't cheap. I did find these tho, I think I'm gonna try them out. #24's
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2F24-xHP.htm

yes, there were some hot spots. not terrible, but certainly noticeable.

if you keep blowing fuses you have a short somewhere. pull the bulbs and install them one at a time, testing between each bulb. if a bulb blows the fuse then set it aside to take a close look at. it might be worth picking up a circuit breaker that can be put in instead of a fuse as it will probably be cheaper.

the link you posted is the same style bulb as i used, and i got them autolumination, which is where i would recommend getting them if you decide you want them.

Try using a little tiny piece of black electrical tape to cover one side of the contact strip on each side of the bulb..? Maybe the metal you scraped off still has bits left that are making contact.

Those new bulb bases look like a PITA... Crap, it's going to suck when I have to order replacements in a month or three :(

Back