• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need help bleeding new throw out bearing

knapp302

New CEG'er
Hi,
I just got finished installing a new clutch kit in my 98 SVT. I have everything back together and can't seem to get the clutch to disengage from the motor. I have tried a number of different ways to bleed the clutch master and throw out bearing with no luck. I'm sure the master cylinder drained out during the time the motor/transmission was out.
Is there a procedure that has worked for anyone I could try? Am I overlooking something?

Open to suggestions....I have a vacuum pump bleeder at my disposal.

Thanks in advance.

FYI, I basically replaced the clutch since I decided to remove the engine to replace the seized alternator......love that design! To be fair, I had a front manifold exhaust leak to fix too...

You bleed the clutch/TOB by;
open clutch bleeder, get into svt and just pump the clutch pedal. It has a one way bleeder, fluid out, no air in.
Of course its best to get a hose or something on it so it doesn't puke fluid everywhere. And make sure you don't run out of brake fluid.

Where is it idenified that the tob has a one way bleeder? I have always bleed it just like a brake caliper.

If the clutch isn't releasing then its possible that the wrong tob was used, or the clutch was installed backwards, etc.

Where is it idenified that the tob has a one way bleeder? I have always bleed it just like a brake caliper.

If the clutch isn't releasing then its possible that the wrong tob was used, or the clutch was installed backwards, etc.

That's what i my alldata says to open the bleeder and just pump the clutch pedal. That's how i bled it after all my tranny work was finished, and i just bled it again earlier today and did it the same way. When i tried it like a caliper it was taking so long i just figured alldata knew what it was talking about.
I cannot get into alldata right now but when i can, i will get on a do exact quote.

I have an old Ford slave/TOB in the basement that I can look at tomorrow but im about 95% sure its just like a standard bleeder and not a speed bleeder.

I have an old Ford slave/TOB in the basement that I can look at tomorrow but im about 95% sure its just like a standard bleeder and not a speed bleeder.

If it is like a normal bleeder, i don't think my SVT would have lasted as long as it has or even gone into gear if it pulled in air:shrug:.

I have tried bleeding the tob with someone in the car and pushing the pedal, openning and closing the bleeder etc. (just like brakes) That does not seem to work. I will attempt the method suggested just pumping the pedal ( can' hurt ). You have me a little scared with mention of the clutch in backwards? How would you manage that? I assume you mean the clutch disc? It seemed like it would only go in one way. The tob is brand new from Rockauto, seemed like a perfect replacement.
I'll try the suggestion and post again.

well, nothing wants to work. Tried the pumping pedal method and tons of fluid came out, but no change. Clutch master seems to be moving fluid and making pressure just fine, so it doesn't seem like a problem, not to mention there was nothing wrong with it before this.

Sounds like its not just a bleeding problem unfortunately.

Same thing happened when my transmission was "fixed"at Mister Transmission. Took them 2 weeks just to pull the tranny, install Torsen and reinstall. Then the clutch wouldn't work so they had to repull the tranny and determined the slave cylinder wasn't working, which took another 10 days. The clutch was less than 2 years old and working perfect before I brought the car in.

My guess is MT either screwed something up on the install or maybe just having the slave sitting out for 2 weeks killed the slave. Can slave cylinders dry out like a fuel pump?

Just want to apologize to the people who responded to this tread. I don't think it was a bleeding problem after all. I thought it was my problem because I had the car up on jack stands and the driveshafts were moving with the car in gear and my foot on the clutch. Once I tried every bleeding method I could think of, I put the car on the ground with the tires on and things were fine.
Hopefully someone can learn from my panic about the clutch. I think the problem was that there was no resistance to keep the driveshafts from spinning when the car was up in the air. The shifter was also initially difficult since the fluid had been out for a while and also worried me.

Thanks for the responses; I can't vouch for the bleeding methods one way or the other.

Just want to apologize to the people who responded to this tread. I don't think it was a bleeding problem after all. I thought it was my problem because I had the car up on jack stands and the driveshafts were moving with the car in gear and my foot on the clutch. Once I tried every bleeding method I could think of, I put the car on the ground with the tires on and things were fine.
Hopefully someone can learn from my panic about the clutch. I think the problem was that there was no resistance to keep the driveshafts from spinning when the car was up in the air. The shifter was also initially difficult since the fluid had been out for a while and also worried me.

Thanks for the responses; I can't vouch for the bleeding methods one way or the other.

So you had the car in the air while bleeding the clutch and that kept it from bleeding or? Sorry if i sound like an idiot but i don't understand what your getting to with having the wheels off the ground? It shouldn't matter while bleeding anything should it?

So you had the car in the air while bleeding the clutch and that kept it from bleeding or? Sorry if i sound like an idiot but i don't understand what your getting to with having the wheels off the ground? It shouldn't matter while bleeding anything should it?

I don't think having the car in the air kept it from bleeding, just kept me from knowing it was bleed. The axles would turn whether I had my foot on the clutch or not and I was thinking the clutch was not releasing. I think it was fine all along and once I got frustrated enough and put the tires on car and drop it down, did I find out everything was fine. I bleed the clutch about 15 times from every direction while it was in the air and it never changed anything. Once the car was down, everything was fine and the car has been driving and shifting great since.

Back