• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

n/a zetec help!

ff_drift_lol

New CEG'er
About a year ago I got a 98 contour se with vct and a 5 speed for free. I'm pretty happy with my contour so far. When I first bought it I was like eh this thing's a beater, but then after I started tinkering I realized it has some balls to it. So far I've been banging out the minor stuff like gauges (sunpro 10k 5" with shift light, apc a/f meter and oil press in a pillar pod and a water temp near the cig lighter) , slotted discs(front, I need help with rears!), ripped out the a/c, cone filter, breather filter, a few other little things but now that I'm done with that I'm moving on to bigger stuff. I'm aiming for a quick daily driver that'll at least smoke hondas and keep up with stangs. So far on my wish list I have a 60mm throttle body (should I go 65?) 3" intake, 2.5 catback, 2.5" test pipe to replace cat, 4-2-1 maaaaybe 4-1 headers depending on the money situation, underdrive pulley, clutch and flywheel, adjustable gears, coil pack, plugs, wires, wire clean up all that good stuff. As far as wheels and suspension go I'm gonna have to say JDM all the way with the 15x7" rims and a 1.6" drop.

It's going to run me around 2 grand minus the rims but all I do is dump money in this thing. I was wondering if anyone had any good connections for parts or recommendations. Should I lose the VCT or keep it since I'm keeping it n/a? Should I use a larger MAF sensor? Should I use sr20 injectors? fuel rail/pump/press regulator? This is going to be my daily/occasional track car so I don't wanna be eating valves and blowing gaskets. Any input would be great! (and no I'm not turboing a car with 9.6:1 compression)

-Mike

(and no I'm not turboing a car with 9.6:1 compression)

Why not?:shrug: mine is turboed with ~9:1 compression, Loco4G63 supercharged his old tour with the factory 9.6:1 compression. there are several foci that have gone FI with the stock internals.

the stock engine has been proven to hold about 300HP (although to be safe i wouldnt go above ~250).

ill go ahead and say that i probably have the fastest zetec contour on these forums. I have run with a modified ~03 Mustang GT. if thats what you want to be doing then you will need at least 200WHP ideally more.

dont worry about the throttle body, its not worth the trouble of trying to get it to work properly. for the intake you can buy a focus short ram intake off ebay for cheap. they work well and fit with little to no modification. 2.5" exhaust is good but you will have to get it made up custom as no one makes an exhaust for the zetec. since the CAT is bolted directly to the manifold you will have to either custom make a downpipe to replace it or just buy a set headers. Focus and ZX2 headers WILL NOT work on the contour. you can use cougar headers though. UDP you can also get off ebay for the focus. find one thats just the pulley and then buy a belt one size shorter than your current one at your local parts store. the factory coil pack is a very good unit and does not need to be replaced unless its not working properly. autolite double plats work very well (i believe the part number is in one of the stickied threads in this (zetec performance) forum. there are lots of options for plug wires. you can use the ones for the focus just make sure you get the right clip for your coil pack.

as for the trans parts, nobody makes a set of adjustable gears so dont bother looking. you can install a fidanza flywheel and a spec clutch. while you have the trans out get a torsen or quafe ATB LSD installed.

fuel system, there are no aftermarket fuel rails available for the contour. if you have a returnless style system you could try a focus rail but i dont think it will work. for the return style system you can get an adjustable FPR from aeromotive. they have 2 designs for fuel injected mustangs. the one with the tabs for the bolts works on our fuel rail. the returnless doesnt use a FPR as the computer cycles the pump to adjust fuel pressure. for the pump you can get a walbro 255LPH pump either the GSS317 or 342 will work. there is no reason to upgrade your injectors or MAF unless you are going FI.

finally, after you have installed everything, get an SCT Xcal2/3 and get the car tuned. IMHO even after all the bolt ons you wont be at the 200WHP mark. you will need to either up the compression ratio or go FI.

Also please dont ever use JDM and contour together again. its a ford, not japanese.

About a year ago I got a 98 contour se with vct and a 5 speed for free. I'm pretty happy with my contour so far. When I first bought it I was like eh this thing's a beater, but then after I started tinkering I realized it has some balls to it. So far I've been banging out the minor stuff like gauges (sunpro 10k 5" with shift light, apc a/f meter and oil press in a pillar pod and a water temp near the cig lighter) , slotted discs(front, I need help with rears!), ripped out the a/c, cone filter, breather filter, a few other little things but now that I'm done with that I'm moving on to bigger stuff. I'm aiming for a quick daily driver that'll at least smoke hondas and keep up with stangs. So far on my wish list I have a 60mm throttle body (should I go 65?)[1] 3" intake [3], 2.5 catback[6], 2.5" test pipe to replace cat, 4-2-1 maaaaybe 4-1 headers depending on the money situation[2], underdrive pulley[4], clutch and flywheel, adjustable gears, coil pack, plugs, wires[7], wire clean up all that good stuff. As far as wheels and suspension go I'm gonna have to say JDM all the way with the 15x7" rims and a 1.6" drop.

It's going to run me around 2 grand minus the rims but all I do is dump money in this thing. I was wondering if anyone had any good connections for parts or recommendations. Should I lose the VCT[5] or keep it since I'm keeping it n/a? Should I use a larger MAF sensor? Should I use sr20 injectors? fuel rail/pump/press regulator? This is going to be my daily/occasional track car so I don't wanna be eating valves and blowing gaskets. Any input would be great! (and no I'm not turboing a car with 9.6:1 compression)

-Mike

1. http://teamzx2.com/index.php/topic,395.105.html that may help as all the zetec focus TBs are 65 or 67, that fit on stock mani's. There are some problems getting it to work on the contour for some reason. hector you want to chim in about this.

2. http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=8270
that will have some good info for you.

3. EBAY - someone got a link?

4. ebay again - for the focus its like 20bucks(for the one i have), their are 2 or 3 for sale right now.

5. zxtuner.com has a delete kit but you will need a tune after. you will also need atleast 1 cam gear

6. 2.25 is optimal for N/A zetec (but as striker2 said 2.5 will still be good)

7. Stock coil pack is extremely strong you wont notice an improvement with the msd or demon coil pack. wires i think might help but thats just me.

correct me if im wrong on any of these things please

I don't want to seam like a downer, but I seriously doubt you will come close to seeing 200whp from a contour zetec without forced induction. I'm going all out (full intake, exhaust, headwork, tune, udp, etc - the only thing I'm not touching is the lower internals, and by my calculation I will realistically only hit about 180 hp (not whp mind you).

I hope this doesn't discourage you any, just trying to inform you up front.

-Teal

I don't want to seam like a downer, but I seriously doubt you will come close to seeing 200whp from a contour zetec without forced induction. I'm going all out (full intake, exhaust, headwork, tune, udp, etc - the only thing I'm not touching is the lower internals, and by my calculation I will realistically only hit about 180 hp (not whp mind you).

I hope this doesn't discourage you any, just trying to inform you up front.

-Teal

x2 only way people see 200hp out of civic's, is because they start from the ground up(forged internals, head work, mild cam with valves, etc...) I dont ever recall seeing a forged interals kit anywhere I looked... however im sure if you put the extra time and money else where you could see closer to 180^^ i.e. electrical, bigger injectors, lots of polishing and port matching, CAI and a good exhaust. You might get close, good luck!

x2 only way people see 200hp out of civic's, is because they start from the ground up(forged internals, head work, mild cam with valves, etc...) I dont ever recall seeing a forged interals kit anywhere I looked... however im sure if you put the extra time and money else where you could see closer to 180^^ i.e. electrical, bigger injectors, lots of polishing and port matching, CAI and a good exhaust. You might get close, good luck!
Focus rods and pistons will work for the internals however you must get both. (i dont know why you wouldnt anyways). thats how i lowered my CR slightly.

This guy has a lot of the same ideas as me when it comes to his zetec. I was wondering, after going through the header, exhaust, and other miscellaneous things, what do you think a zetec could make with the big boost and jackson supercharger for the focus? Also, what kind of changes do the new cam gears make and are there aftermarket cams for the zetec?

Sorry if this is a hijack, but it seemed on topic.

you guys are the :censored::censored::censored::censored:! Alright so I made a trip to pep boys and made my own intake system with a few couplers. It goes 55mm (stock tb, 2" barely fits you need a sander to bore out the coupler a bit to compensate for the extra .1 inches) to 3" 90 degree elbow to 3 to 4" coupler, 6" long 4" pipe to 4" 45 degree to MAF to cone filter. It sits exactly where the stock airbox was (I'll have pics soon). This is a problem! I want a 4" intake all the way through. I'm going to put some injectors, new rods, fuel pump, try and make my own fuel rail, cam gears, and I need to know what MAF sensor will fit better on a 4" pipe! The car is running very stoichiometric which is good for such an increase in air flow so I don't see why I couldn't throw on a bigger TB. Overall I need a 65-70mm TB, new intake manifold that will let me lower the TB about 3 or 4 inches to compensate for the huge elbow (spacer too), MAF that won't bottleneck my intake, fuel pump, (walboro255 I guess), the fuel filter, braided lines, FPR, the works. Right now I'm focusing on minor air and fuel ratios. I may raise my compression to 10:1. You guys seem very knowledgable so anything helps. Thanks a bunch and you'll be seeing a quick contour around long island pretty soon.

you guys are the :censored::censored::censored::censored:! Alright so I made a trip to pep boys and made my own intake system with a few couplers. It goes 55mm (stock tb, 2" barely fits you need a sander to bore out the coupler a bit to compensate for the extra .1 inches) to 3" 90 degree elbow to 3 to 4" coupler, 6" long 4" pipe to 4" 45 degree to MAF to cone filter. It sits exactly where the stock airbox was (I'll have pics soon). This is a problem! I want a 4" intake all the way through. I'm going to put some injectors, new rods, fuel pump, try and make my own fuel rail, cam gears, and I need to know what MAF sensor will fit better on a 4" pipe! The car is running very stoichiometric which is good for such an increase in air flow so I don't see why I couldn't throw on a bigger TB. Overall I need a 65-70mm TB, new intake manifold that will let me lower the TB about 3 or 4 inches to compensate for the huge elbow (spacer too), MAF that won't bottleneck my intake, fuel pump, (walboro255 I guess), the fuel filter, braided lines, FPR, the works. Right now I'm focusing on minor air and fuel ratios. I may raise my compression to 10:1. You guys seem very knowledgable so anything helps. Thanks a bunch and you'll be seeing a quick contour around long island pretty soon.
The TB is not a restriction until you make a lot more power....last thing you should worry about.

It's not about the power I'm making now, it's about the power I'm going to be making. 10:1 pistons, rods, cams, wires, underdrive, connecting rods, higher flow injectors (probbly sr20det injectors), fuel rail, intake manifold that's not freakin plastic, walboro 255 pump, fuel filter, fpr, steel braided everything, 2.5" exhaust, 4-1 header. I'm aiming for a reliable grocery getter with ridiculous throttle response. 180-200 sounds good to me. Today I bored my stock throttle body with a dremel took about 2 hours, not so bad and the response inproved significantly. Oh and does anyone know anything about a drum to rotor conversion for my rears? My brakes have almost gotten me into a few accidents. Damn drum brakes!

It's not about the power I'm making now, it's about the power I'm going to be making. 10:1 pistons, rods, cams, wires, underdrive, connecting rods, higher flow injectors (probbly sr20det injectors), fuel rail, intake manifold that's not freakin plastic, walboro 255 pump, fuel filter, fpr, steel braided everything, 2.5" exhaust, 4-1 header. I'm aiming for a reliable grocery getter with ridiculous throttle response. 180-200 sounds good to me. Today I bored my stock throttle body with a dremel took about 2 hours, not so bad and the response inproved significantly. Oh and does anyone know anything about a drum to rotor conversion for my rears? My brakes have almost gotten me into a few accidents. Damn drum brakes!

The drum to rotor conversion info. is listed under the "How To" section on the main page.

I have 200WHP on the stock throttle body and intake manifold. neither is a restriction in my setup. the plastic intake actually flows very well. its design allows each cylinder to get the same amount of air instead of the cylinder nearest the TB getting the most and it tapering off towards the back. IIRC there isnt any aftermarket intake manifolds made either so your stuck with the plastic one.

i highly doubt you will get to the 180WHP mark with just those mods. Loco4G63 only made it to ~160-170 with a supercharger. im at 200 with a turbo. your only increasing the CR by .4, thats not a big enough increase to net that much power even with all the other mods. good luck finding cams for the VCT engine. as far as i know performance cams dont exist for it. Rods, wires, fuel rail, fuel filter, and steel braided lines arent going to net you anything.
why try to make SR20 injectors work when you buy a set of 24# injectors brand new for cheap? if you have a returnless style fuel system there is no FPR so you can forget that as well.

do a search and look on the main site for the rear disc conversion.

You just solved all of my problems and answered all my questions. Thanks so much I'll have pics posted of it as it moves along this thing's gonna be sick.
1b7c_1.jpg
I'm getting these rims this month and a 1.6 inch drop too.

Ouch, Pontiac gold/bronze style? :shrug: If you like that type of rim, I guess. The 1.6" drop will look sweet though.

lol I know they're an acquired taste kind of rim but I love the mesh look and I'm a JDM fanatic. I wanted a ae86 corolla and I got a contour. Not that I'm settling, but the contour grew on me and I love the zetec motor. Today I relocated the battery to the trunk and put the fuse box in the wheel well. I will post pictures and in the how to section tomorrow.

You just solved all of my problems and answered all my questions. Thanks so much I'll have pics posted of it as it moves along this thing's gonna be sick.
1b7c_1.jpg
I'm getting these rims this month and a 1.6 inch drop too.
Those rims look exactly like a set of BBS rims i got from an early 90's VW, except mine were blue...

Back