• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mysterious Vacuum Leak

Blackcoog

Hard-core CEG'er
Looking for some feedback on a car I'm trying to troubleshoot. It's a 98 SVT with a 07 Escape motor. Heads are ported out (porting plates stuck to heads with gasket maker) so it's running SVT intakes (still has 3L cams). It's been running/driving fine for 2 years now.

Recently the car has had a lower than normal idle and the engine is shaking a bit (occasional stall). I pulled the codes (CEL light wasn't on so I'm guessing some dumb ass pulled the bulb) and it had codes for bad upper o2's on both upper banks. I replaced and now codes are P0174 and a P0171 (lean both banks). I figure its a vacuum leak so I get some carb cleaner and spray it near spots that could leak. The engine revs when it is sprayed under the fuel rail/lower intake/head area so a vacuum leak is confirmed. It will rev wen sprayed from far left (engine mount) or far right side (throttle body) of upper intake into the valley area (very odd). I figure it could be PCV box so I block the PCV off completely (remove from intake and block breather lines). It still revs when sprayed under there. It can't be PCV if no vacuum is going to the PCV box to suck it into the intake. I pull the upper and lower intakes off and check the gaskets. One gasket had a slight tear so I replace with a used one I had(still no change). I pulled the injectors. Some o-rings looked bad so I replaced (no change). I used gasket maker around the two lower intake to head (porting plates) gaskets (no change). Spraying at the upper to lower intake gasket doesn't do anything so I think that is safe. It seems to be around the lower to head but I don't understand why. The intake is tightened down in sequence and looks great. I checked the plates and lower intake for flatness and it looks good. There is a vacuum leak down there but I can't find it. I suppose the car could have been running lean for quite some time. CEL hasn't been there to tell the owner there is an issue. Could there be a leak through a head gasket that would cause this? Car drives perfectly normal above idle at speed. No odd noises other than what seems to be a vacuum hiss we can't pinpoint. Anyone have any suggestions, tips, or tricks to find the issue?

Next I'm going to try removing the porting plates and re-sealing them to the heads and then installing a new set of LIM gaskets. One idea I have is that the injectors are still leaking in the LIM area. They are 19lb orange mustang injectors which are fatter than normal SVT injectors and for some reason seem slightly shorter than normal (will compare to normal ones if I find a set). They seem to move up and down more than normal but should still be sealing (no fuel coming out and I pushed them down into the LIM to make sure they were sealing). Another idea I have is that the intake is hitting the front valve cover. 06+ 3L valve covers sit higher so I had a welder friend of mine cut the humps off and lower them so the 2.5L intake would clear. You can't use 2.5L cover or older 3L covers on the front because ford added another bolt hole on the covers/head and moved the water pump to the front exhaust cam (also can't use SVT cams). I'm not sure why clearance would change after 2 years but maybe heat was the culprit. I think this is far fetched but I'll check it anyway.

It is a step-brother-in-law of mine so I'm helping out to be nice. Although, they did popped me $20 and a case of beer (Mich Golden Light Bottles). I suppose it's been about 20 hours of work so far... Time to go drink.

since you said its using the SVT intakes im assuming it still has the secondaries in the LIM? if so, check the seals on the ends of the shafts as they can get brittle and leak over time. since you said it revs when you spray from either end of the manifold, they might be a good place to look.

Good idea and I have been pondering that as well. It didn't seem to do it when directly sprayed at the bearings for the shafts. I may just swap in a different SVT lower the next time it's apart. This leak is really pissing me off. lol

No luck yet. Worked on it yesterday. Swapped new porting plates sealed to heads with gasket maker. Installed new upper and lower intake gaskets. Swapped in a different SVT lower intake. I checked over everything and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

The only thing left is the PCV box. Even though it doesn't make sense that will be the next thing I look at.

Or your fake valve covers.

Try another set of 2.5L covers...

I'm going to blow metal flakes on your 66 next time I stop over. Spaying carb cleaner at the PCV box does not equal valve covers leaking. You were there helping you should know that. lol

Besides that I already stated you can't use 2.5L covers on a 06+ 3L. Water pump is on the front exhaust cam meaning all covers with water pump cam on front intake cam (everything before 06) will not work. Plus ford added extra bolt holes so they wouldn't even bolt up if the water pump position was the same.

I'll spell it out then smartypants, the upper isn't fastening to the lower all the way. That's my latest theory. :)

We need a smoke machine now...?

Dan

Tried a new lower and checked for clearance issues. There was no nicks in paint on covers or upper (immaculate actually). Definitely not a leak between upper and lower.

As I see it the only thing left is:
1. PCV box pulls in carb cleaner some how and revs motor although testing this with PCV unhooked still reved motor so I'm not sure how this is possible
2. Leak in head gasket. This seems unlikely as the motor would run like crap all the time.

Lies. All lies.

I'm halfway serious about a smoke machine. I think it would help to see where it's sucking in....

Can you use any ford EV1 injector in a return car? They should all be the same length and use the same o-ring size right? Injectors seem snug.

No. Injectors have different styles. One example is 95 Contour vs 96+

2063987628_3b79b3f801_o.jpg

the lengths might be different as well.

I bet its leaking from the LIM gaskets themselves... had a similar issue on my turbo car.... The problem is you need to cut the centering thingies on the gasket itself. If its not flush with the gasket then it will leak. I use a dremel and do away with them completely.

No. Injectors have different styles. One example is 95 Contour vs 96+

the lengths might be different as well.

Yeah, I know they have different tips/spray patterns. I think either should physically fit though.

I bet its leaking from the LIM gaskets themselves... had a similar issue on my turbo car.... The problem is you need to cut the centering thingies on the gasket itself. If its not flush with the gasket then it will leak. I use a dremel and do away with them completely.

They aren't in the way I cut them down just below the gasket surface. Not to mention this has been the 2nd gasket set (both with centering tabs cut). The owner (father-in law) brought it to a shop and they basically told him what I did and then said it would be 2.5hrs ($60/hr) to remove the upper intake so they could get in there to find it and they wanted to replace the upper/lower gaskets again since they are one time use... He decided to have me look at it again so I'll take a look at it tonight or another night this week.

change the LIM and reseat the bugzuki plates.

Already did, no change. Swapped to a different SVT LIM. Removed old plates and cleaned the head off with a razor blade. Then installed new plates with gasket maker. Going to give it another try tonight. A friend told me to pressurized the intake with air and listen for leaks. I may rig something up to pressurize each port on the LIM (cap the other port and exhaust) with the UIM off because I believe it's below the LIM somewhere.

Sorry to revive an old thread.

However, I'm having this same issue with my 3L...I have reseated the plates several times and also gone through several LIM gaskets and have not solved my issue.

Blackcoog, you never posted the solution to the problem you were having with your leak in this car......did you ever find the leak and fix it?

Your answer may help me find mine. Thanks!

Sorry to revive an old thread.

However, I'm having this same issue with my 3L...I have reseated the plates several times and also gone through several LIM gaskets and have not solved my issue.

Blackcoog, you never posted the solution to the problem you were having with your leak in this car......did you ever find the leak and fix it?

Your answer may help me find mine. Thanks!

I also had this problem....reseated my Bugzuki plates with a lot of sealer. But where I was making my mistake....I was leaving my TB and cables connected when I would remove my UIM...like to inspect the LIM and all. So I finally took everything apart properly....and put it back together properly one piece at a time...and tq'd it all to spec before putting the next piece on. I even used black permatex to seal the IAC and TB gaskets. Vacuum leak disappeared.

HMMM......

I finally made a gasket and used hi-tack to seal the bugzuki plates down. I did notice today, a very small gouge on the surface of the LIM where it meets the lower gasket and does seem to be in the area where I've been hearing just a slight hiss...hardly noticeable......

I'm thinking I may need to swap a different LIM on next.....problem is I don't have another at the moment.

By the way, I have a 2001 Mercury Cougar.

I'm going to check the local pick and pulls for an LIM tomorrow....I know that all Cougs after May 1999 had SVT spec LIM's, do you know if any of the late-model contour/mystiques were also fitted with SVT spec LIM's....especially 2000 when the tours went returnless? I ask because Tours and Stiques are alot more common at the yard here in Richmond.....

There was a hole in the head of that car.... Check engine light was removed from that car by a previous owner (thanks much!) so it had been running very lean (bad O2's). Injector ports in the heads are usually pretty thin after porting so after a few years of running hot a hole formed in the head and created a large vacuum leak. Some JB weld fixed it perfectly. It was placed on the outside of the head like a chunk of gum so it wouldn't ever fall into the motor if it broke off. It's been working great for the owner ever since.

Back