• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My "new" '98 CSVT...and some of my other projects...

toolbox

CEG'er
Hey guys,
As I posted in my intro thread, I'm new here, but not new to Contours, having owned a '96 as my DD for many years. Just picked up a somewhat neglected '98 CSVT as my next project (and hopefully soon to be daily driver).

The passenger side window was broken out when some bozo stole the (not very valuable) stereo out of it...

IMG_20140801_103021_026_zps97b39978.jpg

There was glass EVERYWHERE. I know from past experience with this sort of thing, you never get all the glass out...five years from now I could be cleaning it out and still find some.

Here it is during my initial swamp out. It was kind of pigged out inside. Garbage, cigarette boxes, etc. Found about $2.50 in change which I gave to my kids. Seats are in pretty good shape. Carpet is gross...passenger side looks like it might have mold under the mat. I have a small carpet machine that will probably clean it up, it's just a lot of work.

IMG_20140801_110344_730_zps2f966355.jpg

Spent the better part of a day with the Porter Cable and some Poor Boys...the paint is actually in pretty good shape for as old and uncared for as it is. The worst of it was the rear bumper, which looked like someone actually took sandpaper to it. I was actually thinking I was going to have to shoot some more clear on it, but after polishing it actually looks pretty good.

Before:

IMG_20140803_122120_972_zpsf9e7b06e.jpg

After:

IMG_20140803_130703_978_zps6f867dfa.jpg

The rest of the paint looks pretty good. Front bumper has a small crease where they ran into something, and some cracks from running into something else. I may paint it someday, but it looks good enough for now it's not a top priority.

Here she is after polishing and some exterior detailing...

941ff2d1-091c-42b0-ad8e-445c55901b24_zpsd0287f3f.jpg

Also gave the headlights a polish. Was going to do the Hightower mod, but discovered that after heating the headlights 5 or 6 times I threw in the towel. It just seemed like I was going to destroy them before I got them apart. Oh well...at least they're clear now.

Before:

IMG_20140806_145628_963_zpsf3d665ed.jpg

IMG_20140806_145638_216_zps8a319afe.jpg

After...

IMG_20140808_152105_840_zps30c28971.jpg

I hit them with 400, 800, 1000, 1500 wet paper, then buffed out with Poor Boys SSR2 and finished with some EXP sealant. I think they look about as good as you can expect a 16 year old piece of plastic to look. Not quite brand new, but pretty darn close. I have one of those Powerball type things for headlights, but I decided to try an orange cutting pad and the SSR2 to polish them...the difference wasn't night and day, but it was significant. The car polish and pad actually looked way better than the headlight ball. Nice to know I can just use my car polish on headlights too lol. I'll keep the Powerball for polishing wheels though. Works good for getting scratches out of DVDs too lol.

So, she's looking pretty good now...not currently running though :cry:. Pulled codes off the computer, and it said the IMRC was stuck open, and EGR flow was excessive. The IMCR actually had a couple of problems...first, one of the screws holding the gears in place was broken and the gear were jammed, second, the cable was broken :(. So, the car is parked until I can find a working IMCR... I'm not having any luck locally--I live in a town of 6000 people, and the only junkyard in the area doesn't have anything. The EGR passages were plugged pretty bad and I cleaned those out...but the excessive flow code means I'm also probably looking at a new DPFE... Also desperately needed an oil change (done) and general tune up. The good new is, even with it's issues the motor ran really well, so it should have a lot of life left in it. There's only 110K on the clock, though I suspect those were pretty hard miles lol.

Anyway, my "to do" list looks something like this:
Passenger side window (broken out), Windshield (cracked all over), Clock (broken) Defrost Switch (broken), E-Brake Boot (missing), Shift Knob (worn through), Stereo (stolen), rear strut mount (broken), fog lights (neither works), left rear sail panel (broken by idiots trying to break into car).

Mechanical: Already changed oil and serp belt (pretty sure it was original). Need to change plugs and maybe wires, IMRC, DPFE, wire harness issues, flush coolant, maybe replace water pump just to get ahead of it. Need to find stock air filter box (has a yucky open element filter on it now...just sucking hot air off the engine). Need to take the wheels off and inspect the brakes... Need to figure out ABS and coolant lights (why they're on that is). That's pretty much all I can think of for now.

So, anyway...kind of a project, but not a huge one. Should be a nice driver once I get all the bugs worked out.

And some of my other stuff...

Here's the CVPI I traded for the CSVT...

IMG_20140703_124316_521_zpsfa03e116.jpg

It looked pretty good when I got it with the exception of the front bumper that had 4 different coats of paint and was all beat to hell. Looked good after I stripped it and hit it with some 2K urethane Performance White. It was nice driving a car that nobody would tailgate lol... It was originally a Rosebud County Sheriffs car, retired in 2010. I put a lot of work into the front end and motor...some of the ball joints were kind of a bear to get out. Fun car while I had it though.

And here's my old Honda Shadow... I bought it last year for $100. Guy was selling it as a parts bike...no keys, no title...no problem! Hadn't been run since it was parked in 1998, and nobody knew who the registered owner was. Here it is when I started...

2013-02-09_14-20-37_828_zps83d76d92.jpg

Got a bonded title for it, and pulled the ignition to get a key cut. It needed a lot of work, but it was all there. So far...complete tune up, rebuilt front forks, rebuilt front and rear brake systems, cleaned and lubed all cables, tach repair, new tach cable, mount and balance new tires, carb overhaul and re-jet, rebuilt seat, new wheel bearings, new radiator, fabricated new custom side covers, body and paint work on tank and rear fender. Oh...and got my MC endorsement.

Here she is today...

IMG_20140716_121119_982_zps87e7a37e.jpg

IMG_20140709_121821_324_zps273125de.jpg

Custom side covers :)

IMG_20140706_123638_261_zps4a8c26bb.jpg

Actually rode it to work today...

And my 1960 Oldsmobile...
Bought it from a junkyard in 1995 for $300. Dragged it home looking like this:

Olds-before-1.gif

Took years of work, but this is how she looks today:

032W1074.jpg

Still needs door panels, but is otherwise mostly done. Fun car to cruise around in.

Also have a '55 Jeep CJ project, but haven't made much progress on it...

55cj8.gif

Having kids kind of put the kybosh on really big projects, so now I just do smaller ones...like the CSVT .

Anyway, glad to be here, and looking forward to learning :).

Looks like a good start to your SVT! I just bought one this summer that i'm trying to get everything fixed up/cleaned up on!. nice looking projects that you have finished! good work!

Speaking of bike...ah, is that seat redone by you or one from online vendor?

Hey, thanks guys! I used to hang out on the autopia forums, and at one point even considered doing detailing on the side but decided to take business in another direction. It's pretty amazing what you can do with a polisher...and a lot of time lol. As long as there is still some paint there to polish, it can usually be brought back to life. And as long as it's not down to the base coat, even spraying some clear on a panel isn't that big of a deal. Now, if a problem goes down to the base coat (particularly with metallics) you've got your work cut out for you lol. With kids and work and life in general I only get to polish my rigs like once a year now. When I was in college it was like an every weekend thing :).

Oh, and on the bike seat, I did it myself. I got the cover off ebay for about $60. The foam was pretty hard after 30 years, so I cut a big chunk out of the middle of it and replaced with foam from an old car seat I got for free. I think it was a third row seat out of a minivan or something lol. If anyone want's to see how I did it, let me know and I'll send you a link...I have a huge thread on hondashadow.net about pretty much everything I did to the bike, and that's in there.

Please send it over. I need to redo my 01 shadow spirit seat to something WAY better for me and wife to ride on.

Thanks.

Very nice looking SVT!! Glad to see the fruits of your labors!!
If you want a passenger front door glass, it is yours for the asking - just pick up my shipping cost to you.
Not sure how to go about shipping this glass, but is can't be THAT difficult!!

Back