• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My Future Plans

Epheron

CEG'er
Special thanks up to this point to the following:

BrApple - various great information
svttour - overall great advice
Livinsvt - transmission build info
Pudmunkie - transmission advice
ContourSVT99 - clutch advice

My first paycheck this year I started saving to build up my 98 CSVT.

So I guess I'll share my plans here where people are interested. Feel free to make suggestions, just keep in mind I'm saving for these parts and buying them individually and installing them as they get to my door. Also, I'll include the reasons why I'm installing them in this order.

*I am keeping the 2.5L in this build. I will replace it later with a 3.0 (or when/if it blows up).

#1 -Transmission Rebuild ~$1600 (Livinsvt)
I chose this first because without a solid transmission, I won't be going anywhere. I don't want a differential detonation on the track.

#1.5 - Spec Clutch Stage 3+ ~$550
This will be second, but will be installed at the same time as the HMS transmission in anticipation of the turbo kit. Keeping the stock flywheel because from what I've heard (and I'm most likely wrong) the fidanza flywheel won't make that much of a difference to justify the extra $300. *Also, Terry recommended that I use the OEM slave and not the one that comes with this clutch, so I'll take that off the order (-$59).

#2 - B&M Short Shifter ~$200
To shorten shift throws, of course. Also, I'm sick of punching my $300 CD deck.

#3 - Trubendz 3'' Cat-back Exhaust ~$600
To avoid bottlenecking once the turbo kit is installed. Oh, and the sound.

#4 - Battery Relocation ~$100
- X-CAL 2 ~$280
- NPG Turbo Kit Stage 2 w/ Turbonetics upgrade ~$3600
Battery relocation to open up room for the turbo kit, X-CAL 2 for tune and finally the turbo kit for the power I need.

#5 - BAT Euro Handling Kit ~$650
What good is all that power if it handles like a truck? Changed my selection of suspension based on price. Was interested in the Koni Adjustables but that's more novelty and I can't justify paying extra $ for a feature I will not use.

After reading up on all of the sub-forums, this is what I came up with as to what mods I want on my car to get the most performance for my money.

I read in http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=30212 that DSS Axles and the flywheel isn't needed, so if I get them, it'll be later on.

I will be doing all of the installs myself or with someone willing to help me in my girlfriend's dad's shop in Perry, FL or the smaller stuff in my garage in Ocala.

To come after-

Paint Touch Up
New Headlights
New Window Seals
Tint Windows
Rear Sway Bar
Front Strut Brace

Tell me what you guys think.

EDIT #1 Clutch changed to Stage 3+
EDIT #2 Changed suspension choice based on price vs. performance.
EDIT #3 Switched HMS transmission build to Livinsvt. Price is better.

DO NOT HIJACK MY THREAD PLXTHX. PM ANYTHING YOU DON'T THINK QUITE FITS IN THIS THREAD.

I am surprised you are not getting a lightened flywheel. My spec flywheel was one of my best mods. The car climbed and dropped revs much faster. It made the car a blast to drive.

I would not do the transmission first. Everybody starts the mod bug with high hopes. I wanted a turbo, 3L or both. I ended up selling the CSVT for a CTS-V before that could happen. It would suck to have an amazing trans on a nearly stock car, and then lose interest or not have the money to get the turbo that called for it. I would also suggest waiting on the transmission for as long as you can. Performance clutches don't last as long, and it would be a waste to wear down a spec stage 3+ on a car that didn't have enough power to need it.

I noticed you had tuning on your list before the turbo. I would suggest you get the two at the same time. You will have to get it retuned for the turbo,and there is not much sense tuning a stock CSVT.

Does that BAT kit price include the mounts too, i cant remember how much mine was. If not I would recommend new rubber mounts and front bearings while you have them out. You should be very happy with how it feels after the install.

If you plan on dropping that much cash, spend the extra $300 and buy a Fidanza/SPEC flywheel, since you're doing the trans anyways. I have one in my 3L and I LOVE it. It is seriously one of my favorite mods on the car. In the words of another CEG'r, it "makes you feel like you have another 100 HP" because the motor is just so responsive.

If you want it to get done a lot faster look at saving money. At least money is my main hold up with projects like this.

$600 for an exhaust is a lot. I built mine (with a test pipe deleting cat+res on track days) out of 3" plain steel for about $300, including paying someone to weld it up.

I'm really cheap though, just my advice.

I am surprised you are not getting a lightened flywheel. My spec flywheel was one of my best mods. The car climbed and dropped revs much faster. It made the car a blast to drive.

You do not need a lightened flywheel on a 3 liter car with a spec 3+. I would in fact recommend against it, it becomes a pain in the ass to try to modulate w. the strong clutch. Several others have said the same thing, we pulled a lightened unit out of bretts turbo car for the same reason. You'll thank me later.

I will echo that sentiment.. a lightened flywheel with a stage3+ is going to kick your ass and you will spend more time stumbling and recovering (or just blatantly feathering the ever-loving crap out of it) to start moving than you will enjoying it.

I just used a svt flywheel on my 3l/turbo install as I heard you wanted more weight in the flywheel then a ligthened flywheel has. the thing already revs fast enough as it is ....

also I would make sure the new clutch is in for a few thousand miles before you turbo the car. might as well make sure its broken in right before throwing alot of power at it.

Last edited:
$600 for an exhaust is a lot. I built mine (with a test pipe deleting cat+res on track days) out of 3" plain steel for about $300, including paying someone to weld it up.

$600 is about what it will take to get a trubendz exhaust and to make sure it fits right. and that would be for stainless also ...

When doing my oil change I found out my suspension is sagging like a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: from being shot--apparently. It's amazing how hard it is to tell your suspension is bad when your car handles so well. The inside of both my front tires is getting close to bald so I bought new tires. Going to rotate the tires to try to keep the new tires off the car until I can afford the suspension I want.

Looks like the BAT Euro Handling Kit will be the first thing I cross off the list.

Back