• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My Brake Light Flashes

N2EAL

New CEG'er
Its not consistant.
Happens when I drive, sometimes when I stop and a lot of times it does NOT work when I apply the parking brake.

Parking Brake Switch?

How do I get at it?

Remove the console I assume.

I have a 98 CSVT

Gary

if the brake light doesn't come on when the parking brake is set check the switch, you need to remove the center console to get to it ...

if the light is flickering when you are driving check the brake fluid level, most likely it is low ...

Low fluid, in the absence of a fluid leak, would also be a sign of worn brake pads/shoes. If you aren't leaking any, then look to change your brake pads sooner rather than later.

Low Fluid Level

Low Fluid Level

Ding...Ding...Ding...Ray wins the prize once again.

My brake fluid reservoir was way, way low and what was left in there was a mucky mess.

Time for a set of pads and a fluid flush.

I topped off the fluid for now, light stopped flashing...

Thank you Ray

I humbly accept, and split it with Brapple (60/40 to Brapple, cause I am a nice guy.. lol). He was the one that would have solved the light. I just tossed out a little more information, and perhaps some preventative notice before your pads were completely gone.

I humbly accept, and split it with Brapple (60/40 to Brapple, cause I am a nice guy.. lol). He was the one that would have solved the light. I just tossed out a little more information, and perhaps some preventative notice before your pads were completely gone.

I would never think that worn brake pads would trip the brake light ... I have had front pads worn down to nothing and never saw the brake light turn on, I would think if it does then the fluid was low anyway and the worn out brake pads just make it more noticable

As the pads wear, more fluid is retained in the caliper as the piston is left in a more extended position. Eventually the fluid level in the master drop below the threshold for the fluid level warning light.

Don't get the impression that this was an intended function of the fluid level low warning light though. If the vehicle isn't equipped with break wear warning sensors then the only way to tell is to keep up with brake pad wear inspections every time the tires are off for rotation. And rotate the tires every 5,000 to 6,000 miles.

I would also suggest that you check all lines for a minute leak. We have had a CEGer once deal with a leaky master cylinder or line to it.

I will check the pads first.
If they are indeed worn, then I would suspect that the drop in fluid level at the master reservoir would be onsistant with the worn pads.

The fluid level was very low and it may be more than worn
pads.
There is no evidence of any other brake issues, car stiops fine...no squealing, pulling or chattering.

Possible evaporation?
I am in South Florida.

Gary

Back