• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mustang Project

todays update: car is up on jack stands and we started working on the front suspension. passanger side is apart and will go back together in the morning. We are replacing all of the suspension components, upper and lower control arms, lower spring perch, etc.

like yesterday we only spent a few hours in the afternoon working on the car. the passanger side front suspension is now back together with all new control arms, the lower ones where boxed in, the upper arm is shimmed for hopefully a neutral alignment and the drag link and steering stop where all bolted up. So the next step is to do the same on the drivers side.

other then that the rear drums where tuned and reinstalled.

I also go to drive the SeVT today :laugh:

update from yesterday (sun 12/14). The drivers side front suspension has been removed and new parts installed. Smae parts for the drivers side as the passanger side. for some reason the spring fought us more on the drivers side then the passanger side. Suppose it could be the springs are not matched but we don't think that is the case. each have the same number of coils and diameter. Either way its back together and ready to go.

It owuld appear that next weekends plan is to redo the steering linkage. That shouldn't be hard to do or take long. Remember this mustang has manual steering. We did did the parts out yesterday. They are new parts but have been sitting around for a good 27 years or so like the car. It was kinda funny, all the parts where made in the USA.

So it looks like after the steering is updated it will be onto the brakes. after that is finishing reinstalling body work, etc and it will be a drivable car. Like noted before it needs to be painted so that will be down the line alittle further.

update for yesterday (12/27) .... went a slightly different dirextion yesterday. After lunch we started with replacing rear end links on my parents 99 contour. then we got to work on the mustang. Instead of working on the steering components we did a few other things. First we tried to adjust the front fenders to make them fit alittle better. after that we cleaned up the spindles and I assembled the front drum brakes. so once the drums get turned we will be able to finish assembling the front brakes. so that leave installing brake lines and the master cylinder to have a working brake system.

update for 2/15/09

No work was done on the Mustang but it was run as we needed the garage to work on a contour. It fired right up after not having been run for a few weeks. I swear you I knew nothing about cars I might not of known that it wasn't fuel injected, turned right over on the first crank.

a lifter seems to keep leaking down as it was pretty noisy when we first started it up. It did go away shortly but its something we will have to look into. Hopefully soon we can get the brake system plumbed and it will be more "driveable".

got some pics from yesterday but I couldn't upload them to ceg so I will work on getting them posted.

:censored::censored::censored::censored:ty part of yesterday was one set of keys for it where lost.

time for an over due update.

the lifter tick has gone away. again its just a solid sounding engine. the flex fan has been swapped out for a stock fan. a few weekends ago the headlights where reinstalled.

this past weekend we made some great progress. New rear springs where picked up and installed. the ride height is perfect now. before you could see that the rear end was way lower then the front. turns out the springs on the car where for a 67 gt. also the springs where miss matched so they had to go. even with the stock stance the car looks good.

also we plumbed the brake system. All the drum brakes where previously assembled. All new stainless brake lines and master cyclinder where installed. We could have started filling the system but we didn't have any brake fluid. So after that we have a running and stopping car.

so what is left? well the bumpers, etc need to be put back on the car. we have to go through and install the rest of the lights on the car and make sure they are all working. Other then that there will be other details that will need attention. Sadly the paint is hurting pretty bad. But for now it will be ok as it will be redone in the future. That also means the wheels and tires will need to be ordered soon.

So next weekend I hope that we can drive the mustang around. we might also fire up the Boss 429 soon to ... it hasn't been run in 4 or so, or more years.

What this crazy talk of a Boss 9?
-J

this ...

picture.php

NICE, is it real?
That is my dream car.
I had a Grabber Blue '69 FB Mach clone. I sold it for my '91 LX but always planned on building a '69 down the road. I'm thinking a 600" EFI Boss 9 based Kasse motor, but who knows :)
-J

NICE, is it real?
That is my dream car.
I had a Grabber Blue '69 FB Mach clone. I sold it for my '91 LX but always planned on building a '69 down the road. I'm thinking a 600" EFI Boss 9 based Kasse motor, but who knows :)
-J

yes its real. its the highest surviving KK number for the 69 year model. its unrestored and was originaly the black jade.

picture.php

Wow, that's awesome. Black Jade was my favorite color they came in, I'm very impressed.
On a side note my dad's '67 GT500 is almost done getting full paint work in Lime Gold/white stripes.
I have a pic of me at age 4 helping my dad put it in primer, so it hasn't had paint in over 25 yrs. so it will be cool to see it come home.
-J

Ahh, yes the 429. Brian's dad let me sit in it, his dad and I did alot of talking about that car. That was a cool day, it took everything I had not to stain the seats :laugh::eek::eek:.

Sundays update (4/26): the brake system is now working and we have a drivable car. It was not without some hassle and almost not being able to get everything to work. Needless to say we had some leaks that had to be dealt with. Some of it was just that the lines needed to be tightened more. The front drums where another story. For the flex lines where not sealing to the cylinder. Turns out there was a washer that was to be used to make the lines seal. Luckly we still have the original brake parts and where able to use those. Then we had trouble with leaks at the hard to flex hose connection. But in the end we where able to get it all taken car of. Also there was another issue we have to watch. For some reason one of the freeze plugs on the head started to leak. but as soon as the engine was up to temp it stopped. Just something to watch.

So after nearly 30 years its a driveable car again. Also the new wheels will be showing up this week.

Back