• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MSDS Headers

Hannotek

New CEG'er
@SVTWHAT

I figured I’d bring the MSDS headers piece to a more appropriate thread.

Do I understand that you didn’t solder anything to an O2 sensor during your install? I’m attaching a pic of the instructions I received with my headers, and they’re telling my to soldier resistors and capacitors to an O2 sensor.

Did you have any issues or throw any codes by doing a straight install? I appreciate your input because I’m planning to install these in the next week.

Attachments

• 8FB7C096-7F93-4C0A-AE47-2335138E7A4A.jpeg
    8FB7C096-7F93-4C0A-AE47-2335138E7A4A.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 18
It could be to keep the check engine light off . Kinda like MIL eliminators…….would be my guess. Cause the headers take out the factory cats . When I’m doubt talk to MSDS and ask them questions.

I was thinking the same thing about them keeping the check engine light off. I finally removed the y-pipe yesterday, and I spent part of today on getting the old manifolds off. I got all the easy to reach manifold bolts out, but there are still a few left. So, I spent the rest of the afternoon removing top engine components to give me some better reach.

I’m planning on doing the straight install first just to see what happens. If I end up needing to solder, I’ll just have to pull a couple o2 sensors. I did send an email to the place I bought the headers. Once they reply I’ll pass on what they say.

I was thinking the same thing about them keeping the check engine light off. I finally removed the y-pipe yesterday, and I spent part of today on getting the old manifolds off. I got all the easy to reach manifold bolts out, but there are still a few left. So, I spent the rest of the afternoon removing top engine components to give me some better reach.

I’m planning on doing the straight install first just to see what happens. If I end up needing to solder, I’ll just have to pull a couple o2 sensors. I did send an email to the place I bought the headers. Once they reply I’ll pass on what they say.
Where did you order them from ?

Yes, that's just a DIY "MIL Eliminator". Without the upstream catalytic converter, the downstream 02 sensor sees the same response pattern as the upstream (primary) O2 sensor and declares a failed cat. The capacitor + resistor slows down the response of the second O2 sensor which makes the ECU think that the cat is still present and working. If you don't mind the Check Engine light it won't affect the running of the car, but I don't like the light being on just because.

I put on "store bought" MIL eliminators intended for a similar vintage V8 Mustang, not sure if those are still available or not. In my case the issue was tired upstream cats. Allegedly the Contour has a very finicky cat failure algorithm.

As tight as the engine bay is, I don't envy a header installation job!

Where did you order them from ?
Sorry for the late response!! I got them from the MSDS website: http://www.msdsinc.com/

I finally got them in a couple weeks ago, but I haven’t run the car yet because I’m replacing a few gaskets. I did the oil pan gasket last weekend, and I’m doing the upper and lower intake plenum gaskets this weekend. Once that’s done, I get to put it all back together and start her up!

Yes, that's just a DIY "MIL Eliminator". Without the upstream catalytic converter, the downstream 02 sensor sees the same response pattern as the upstream (primary) O2 sensor and declares a failed cat. The capacitor + resistor slows down the response of the second O2 sensor which makes the ECU think that the cat is still present and working. If you don't mind the Check Engine light it won't affect the running of the car, but I don't like the light being on just because.

I put on "store bought" MIL eliminators intended for a similar vintage V8 Mustang, not sure if those are still available or not. In my case the issue was tired upstream cats. Allegedly the Contour has a very finicky cat failure algorithm.

As tight as the engine bay is, I don't envy a header installation job!
Thanks for the info! I figured it was something like you described.

I am interested in the store bought option you mentioned, so if you have any more info I’d greatly appreciate it. If not, I don’t mind the MIL. In another year, I’ll be able to register the contour as a classic and won’t have to get emissions tests anymore!

You can find them in a few places. If you google Ford MIL eliminators, you should be able to find plenty. Here’s a link to one, although I can’t claim that they will for sure work for the contour as I’ve never used these particular ones myself, and they seem to be coming from Canada.

MIL eliminators

Last edited:
Back