• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MPV 3L vs Taurus/Escape 3L

SVOFANATIC

Veteran CEG'er
What are the differences between the two? I found a motor from an 04 MPV low miles what are the differences between the two of them? I apologize about not using search I've been on the road for 20 hours about to crash hoping someone can give me info while I recoperate lol.

It's been a while since I read everything but I remember that the MPV one has almost everything you need to be dropped right in. It's the motor that requires the least amount of modification. As far as those modifications go, I can't remember a single thing lol

Edit: Found the post that I was looking for. Here's everything explained as to why the MPV is pretty much a direct drop in.

"You are right about one thing... This engine is a DIRECT drop in.*

I took more pics but my photo bucket was taking forever to load so I will do the rest later.

Looks like a 2.5L timing cover because IT IS.... 2001 COUGAR timing cover.
Factory DMD
Engine mount already placed between the heads.
SVT spec oil cooler
2001 Cougar alt bracket
No tabs to cut and there is NO pilot bushing on this engine.

FOR a full 3L there isnt much else you have to do. If the UIM clears the engine bay then an EGR VALVE integration looks to be much easier than the taurus one since its pointing toward the rear of the engine bay. A custom tube would be much easier to fab at this point.

Similarities to the 04-05 taurus... pcv valve is on the same location...

observations... comes with blue injectors returnless style, vacuum system has changed from brittle plastic tubes to rubber vac lines."

So pretty much other than the accessories on the 2.5 I wouldn't have to move much else over? I had heard the motor mounts were the same but not the timing covers lol.

Never mind about the oil pan thing I just did some research the oil pan for the Mazda 6, Tribute, MPV and Ford Escape All have the same part # for the oil pan so MPV looks to be the best choice for an engine lol.

I've got a 3L MPV in my Cougar, so I might as well share a little info.

For a full 3L it is pretty decent, not a lot of work to do. The only Mazda specific pitfall I found is that the MPV injectors will not work with Taurus injectors maps, so unless you have a tuner with experience with MPV tuning you'll need to stick with either stock SVT or Taurus injectors. Also, if your engine doesn't come with studs in the motor mount then you'll have to track down studs from an 01+Cougar or from a Mazda parts department.

The oil pan is a direct bolt on to the MTX75, but the thin shim is slightly different, didn't measure the thickness when I had both next to each other, they seemed close, but the MPV has some more area's covered.

My MPV block came with block heater, not sure if it was just because it came from French Canadia (Quebec) or if that's standard. The MPV knock sensor bolts on to the block about on the back of the block. The rear roll resistor bracket looked very similar to the 2.5L bracket, but I'm not sure if our jack shaft will bolt to it or not.

The MPV LIM is the same as the ST220 and the Mazda 6. The UIM is very similar to the ST220, but has extra ribs in the castings and uses the IAC thru the TB like the plastic manifolds do. It also has a electric door that seperates the two plenums at the back of the manifold. I assume that it opens at high RPM for some reason I don't know yet.

I mean these studs.

45227d1336355177-photo-6-.jpg

Back