• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mirko Question

The Digital Slacker

Hard-core CEG'er
Seems the instructions that came with the mirko are kinda crappy. Does anyone have pictures of how they mounted it? I assume that there is a bolt on either side that holds it on... but what about those three long metal peices? Words are great, but pictures are better, thanks!

I didn't use the metal pieces to attach my Mirko. They were too long anyway to work without modification.
I have Dzus fasteners holding mine on, much easier to get on and off if needed.
I can get you pictures in the morning, don't have access to them right now.
Nice to see that you are going to install it, it's going to look great. :cool:

yeah the dzus fasteners are very strong holding, lets just say with just two at each end the bunmper moves with the mirko not seperate ... also some high speeds have not ripped it off yet .... :help:

i plan to add 2 more just to make sure

ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS!!!!! :eek: :eek:

you guys didnt use the metal brackets provided?!?! Mine didnt fit either but I made them fit! and those ARE CRUCIAL in high speeds or if you hit it! If you dont have those then it will rip ur bumper off from the sides since thats the area taking most the load since you have no brackets! If you just leave it with the fasteners you have and put extras on, God forbid you were to bottom out your mirko, guess what takes the load!? the sides will and it will rip the corners off..having the 3 metal brackets that connect to the sub-frame enable the pressure from bottoming out be spread out equally. It also makes the mirko sturdier onto the bumper.

my metal brackets

278ef537.jpg

Last edited:
thanks goonz, but close up pictures would be more helpful ;0

Both of the sides with the fasioners and the metal strips.

I cant really get detailed pix, im working non-stop till tommorow evening. However tommorow night i'll post some detailed pics. The concept is quite simple. The 3 brackets will connect to the front part of your subframe. You will have to take the splash shield out and put the brackets in, allign them on the mirko so you know where they hit. Drill the hole and connect everthing together. The last thing you should do are the sides. It sounds easy the way im saying it but its time consuming and takes a little patiently. IMO it should be done with the brackets supplied for better durability. As I said, i'll post pics tomorow night

thanks goonz, but close up pictures would be more helpful ;0

Both of the sides with the fasioners and the metal strips.

Agreed.

However I did my mounting a little different. I did not use the brackets either, however like Goonz said it will rip your bumpers corners if all you do to connect it is put two bolts or dzus fastners on it. So on to what I did...

The front bumper has two brackets that come down from the subframe to attach and hold up the bottom corners of the bumper. What I did was made sure that the Mirko splitter was pulled as tight against the front bumper as possible and then drill holes at the corners of the Mirko that were aligned with the holes for the brackets in the bumper. I then just took a longer bolt and ran it through the Mirko and the bumper. So I have 4 bolts holding up my Mirko the two in the sides and then the two on the bottom. The bumpers front lip (so to speak) below the grill supports the Mirko enough in the front (since I pulled it in tight) making the 4 bolts I'm using enough to hold it on the car. I'll post pictures in the morning after I get back from taking my huskies to the vet.

Yep. To each his own, I guess. ;)
Parkedcar has his on the same way as Brian and I do. Mike's has been on for a while now with no issues what so ever. I've had mine hooked this way since I got it and no problems either. Been on the highway many times and had the Mirko bottom out, had no problems with my front bumper.
I don't leave the Mirko on all the time as the roads around here are :censored: . I do inspect my front bumper when I take it off and so far everything is just fine.
Luck? Don't know. But there are others out there that aren't using those brackets either.

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={06C0765E-B694-4990-A1BC-8E1C4E778D81}&inv=DCC5DA5EDF1AD4D&userid={06C0765E-B694-4990-A1BC-8E1C4E778D81}&inv=DCC5DA5EDF1AD4D&albumid={6FDA9211-8F9E-4BCF-BE1D-D1AF49BC70AD}&albumid={6FDA9211-8F9E-4BCF-BE1D-D1AF49BC70AD}

the above it a link, copy paste it

You guys really went that far?!?! Maybe I cheaped with just 3 bolts, one on each side where mirko instructions states and one in the center below the grill. I have scraped it a couple of times and no issues, and its solid at highway speeds.

I did initially buy some dzus fasteners but when I saw the size of a hole i would have to bore in the bumper and the mirko I found another option. Sooo..if anyone wants to do dzus's I can sell some.

OH yeah, I also lined the back of my splitter with peel and stick felt from a craft store so that it would not scuff up the paint....works really really well.

Last edited:

you guys didnt use the metal brackets provided?!?! Mine didnt fit either but I made them fit! and those ARE CRUCIAL in high speeds or if you hit it! If you dont have those then it will rip ur bumper off from the sides since thats the area taking most the load since you have no brackets! If you just leave it with the fasteners you have and put extras on, God forbid you were to bottom out your mirko, guess what takes the load!? the sides will and it will rip the corners off..having the 3 metal brackets that connect to the sub-frame enable the pressure from bottoming out be spread out equally. It also makes the mirko sturdier onto the bumper.

my metal brackets

278ef537.jpg

Putting the old winter tires on eh?

I've never installed the AL brackets.....mirko is fine on my car with just two bolts, one thru each side.

~Josh

I'm assuming that you need to bend those brackets some right? I test fit mine and scewed the 3 brackets to the bottom of the car to see where they would line up with the Mirko and they were way off.. like too long and all bent the wrong direction.

I gave up and decided to have the shop install it when they paint the car, screw my test fittings and driving with it prior to get used to it. It certainly wasnt as easy as it looked :(

where does one get these dzus fasteners? I dont want to keep my Mirko on for Winter so perhaps some of those on each side plus brackets is the way to go.

Mine came from Summit Racing. Brapple ordered them and I bought some from him.

The brackets are way off. We modified ours but ended up just using two Dzus fasteners on each side. I have no bracket in the middle.

I've had my car on the highway many times and everything is fine, there are no issues what so ever with the front bumper either.

I also have the wrench to remove the Dzus fasteners. Takes me about a minute to install/remove it from the car. Very simple.

Back