• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Minor vibration at 70+

I've got a very similar issue. I have a cracked intermediate shaft bracket that I will be changing at the same time as installing new roll restrictors.
I'm hoping this will take care of it for me.

struts will definitely cause a vibration. i just had a monte carlo in the shop with 90k and original struts. that was the cause of his vibration

Sometimes its just the road, around here where I live they did new asphalt 2 yrs ago and it has some waviness to it, going down my road I get vibration and I can go elsewhere on othe roads and get none.

I have always been told to get road force balancing on tires...

Liquid_Force, any updates to your situation? I have the EXACT same problem on my '00 tour (77k). The car is great except for the annoying vibration at 65-70 ish. I've had the tires/wheels balanced twice, (right after buying the car used at 66k and yesterday at 77k) and the vibration remains. I am going to price rear struts per Tony's advice & if I go ahead & get them, i'll post up on results. Are the "roll resistors" expensive? If not, I may go ahead & replace em at the same time. (I've never heard of "roll resistors" before this car either).

Thanks!!

I know I need struts soon, but there are no signs as of yet, but I just got done with 4wheel alignment and tire rotation and the difference was tremendous. they said my tires are somewhat crappy and are way off. they used a machine to balance it a couple of different ways. they had to dismount the tire and rotate it on the wheel to where the computer told it to. It cured my 78-83mph shudder on freeeway.

I know I need struts soon, but there are no signs as of yet, but I just got done with 4wheel alignment and tire rotation and the difference was tremendous. they said my tires are somewhat crappy and are way off. they used a machine to balance it a couple of different ways. they had to dismount the tire and rotate it on the wheel to where the computer told it to. It cured my 78-83mph shudder on freeeway.

Hey Cloudx, about how much did the 4 wheel alignment run ya? I priced rear springs & struts from rockauto.com & it came out to about $215 plus shipping, so if the alignment is a lot cheaper than that, I may try an alignment 1st. But with all that said, I have a feeling due to my 'tour being 11 years old (& most likely on stock struts) that the struts are probably a factor.

Yah it's hard to tell what exactly will cure your issues. I got a 4wheel alignment and balance/rotate tires for $50. It was at a good tire shop not a big chain. My car responded well to it, I'm sure it just needed the service and attention.

Back