• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

min requirements for track car to be street legal?

mtxcontourSVT

New CEG'er
I'm thinking about getting a car for track events, I still want to drive it to the track which is about an hour away but I can't find any good links on what I need to keep to drive on public roads.

Obviously things like mirrors, lights, emissions but what about airbags, passenger/rear seats, roll cage? I'm not really looking to build an all out racer yet so I'm not sure I even want a roll cage yet but I also don't want to get hurt...thoughts?

whats needed to be street legal is completely dependent on what state your in. the new drivers hand book (the one that every 16yr old should pick up and study before they take the test) should specify in it whats required to be street legal.

I think you can remove the airbags and extra seats without problem. Roll bars can be tricky for legality, and also dangerous if you are not wearing a helmet.
Check out the forums at Nasaproracing.com, there are lots of discussions on this subject.

Back