• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

meguiars vs zaino - three step

Steve and Neil, make sure you guys both put Zaino in your signatures, along w/ how many coats.

Wait, here we go...

2000 SVT contour, #1972

Mods: Zaino, Mobil1, KKM, throttle hang fix, Cardoc IAT mod and MAF post delete, Indiglo(tm) gauges

Last edited:
Detailing enthusiasts poll

Meguiar's doesn't show in any wax area and barely a mention in any poll/survey for top products amongst detailing enthusiasts.

I'll continue to dispel the myth that Zaino costs more. Sorry, but it's easily better than Meguiar's in my book.

Just because it's been around for 100 years doesn't mean it's that good or the best. Look at margarine. So bad for you, yet it's still in stores.

It would be interesting to see the same data now (almost 1 year later) to see what's currently on top of the list.

Like I said in another post, if you took the "best" product from each group, your detail would look like this:

wash w/ Poor Boy's
clean w/ Klasse
polish w/ Menzerna
sealant w/ Zaino
lsp w/ Poor Boy's
maintain w/ Zaino

Does anybody actually do such a process? I don't know how all of those products would act together, but I can say that I would put my 100% Meguiar's detail routine up against that line-up any day of the week.

I liked meguiars because it's so easily accessible OTC.

I ordered the klasse twins and I easily saw a difference between the two brands. I have some s100 wax (thanks for the tip) and I'm going to redo the entire car this weekend, ooh I can't wait :).

I liked meguiars because it's so easily accessible OTC.

I ordered the klasse twins and I easily saw a difference between the two brands.

As I have stressed time and time again, the OTC Meguiar's stuff is pretty good, but moving up to the 80-series Mirror Glaze for cleaners/polishes and #21 for the sealant gives much better results. This may account for the discrepancy you saw in your comparison. But, as long as you are happy w/ the look of your S40, that's all that really matters in the end!:cool:

Cool comparison. I wish I could see it in person since its hard to judge by the pics but they look about the same. The zaino will outlive the Meguiars by a long shot though.

Yeah, especially when its NXT:shrug: I'd like Dr.Cross to do one of these comparisons and use that synthetic Mequiars product he uses, I think its #21 and its generally not available in stores. I know the first two Mequiars products dust, but not the NXT though. Even though I've never tried "Z" and never will, the NXT is NO match for an acrylic product:crazy: I like how the new "Z" product is called "All in One', hmm, wonder where they got that from. Last year at SZ I came up on the short end of the stick, no doubt about it and what I learned was you MUST wait 10-12 hrs to apply ANYTHING on top of Klasse SG, no matter what. One thing that's going to be funny is when it rains and you've got this flat stripe down the center of the car, can't wait to see that pic and I'm sure the pics of the NXT failing after 2-3 weeks will be coming as well:laugh:

One thing that's going to be funny is when it rains and you've got this flat stripe down the center of the car, can't wait to see that pic and I'm sure the pics of the NXT failing after 2-3 weeks will be coming as well:laugh:

I went back over the strip so it wouldn't fade or do anything funny after the request of my parents, it is there car after all ....

and guys your missing part of the point here, I did this to compare what I have used in the past. Yes I could go out and get the Meguiars products that I have mentioned but that isn't my plan. Again I just wanted to compare what I have used on my car in the past and what I am using not. Before I used the Meguiars step 1 and 2 with NXT, not I am using Zaino.

And based on using what I used before to what I am using now I am very happy with using Zaino.

And based on using what I used before to what I am using now I am very happy with using Zaino

I have no doubt about that and I'm hoping you go overboard to keep your Tours new paint looking its best, it was an amazing job:cool:

think I have 5 coats on it already, due for some more :laugh:

I'm not sure about non-Meguiar's products, but Meguiar's states that 2 thin coats is all you need. Anything other than that and you start removing the wax below (from the application/removal process) and you don't really gain anything.

I do understand the purpose of your original post, and I think that the work that you did was very informal, in terms of breaking the process down step by step and documenting your work the whole time. However, based on your findings in a couple of weeks, someone may come to the conclusion that Zaino rules and Meguiar's sucks because it doesn't even bead up after 1 month (although it's aparent that alot of people on this site already believe this:blackeye:).

I'd be more than happy to use my Focus for a the ultimate test of Zaino vs Meguiar's vs Klasse vs whatever else, but I would need donations of non-Meguiar's products :laugh:

****, I had a nice reply typed then I hit the bad button on my mouse :mad:

anyway I got some photos and follow up this past weekend I will post hopefully tonight.

Dr.Cross, come to SZ08' next year with the N.E. guys and conduct the test, I'm sure we can get a donor car and Pete will probably be more than happy to defend his crown against you:shrug:

I've always wanted to attend SZ, and I almost went this year. I'm burnt out on the trip though. I use to travel from Chicago to Albany, NY about once a month during summers in my college years. Those were the days, cruizing in my 89 Probe GT getting about 37 mpg:cool:

I'll have to rest up between now and then so I can make the trip:laugh:

Back