• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

low beams only

reddired

Veteran CEG'er
i was thinking about getting some (lowbeam) 9006's and running them as my high beams with all four lights (hi's & lo's) on all the time.
i would be running EUROBEAMS 8500K HID's (not true HIDS).
i think i would get awesome light output but i wonder if it would be too much.
don't wanna blind anyone!!

has anyone done this?

The problem with that setup wouldn't be the light output, but the angle of the light coming out. High beams are setup to throw a higher and more spread out pattern compared to lows. You would be better off replacing your fogs with a decent set of driving lights, then wireing it to the fog light relay.

You'd blind the hell out of oncoming drivers. Illegal, and not a good idea. Don't do it.
From my understanding its only illegal if you have more than 4 headlights, or it is dangerous aka blinding.

Failure to dim brights is a $300 ticket in the city I live in. Compare that to my $100 ticket for going 63 in a 45 zone, and I'd say it's a big deal to cops and not a good idea.

well if you just want more output for light. Buy some 9005 lights and simply use a dremel and take those two notches out.

Since the lowbeam has that cover that sits over the tip you'll be fine. But you'll be using high beam bulbs in a low beam spot.

Had it like that on my yukon,civic and now my contour. Since they all used 9005/9006 bulbs.

I did the Silverstar highs in the low beam thing on my 96. IMO not worth the money, only a slight improvement at best. When the SS's die I'll probably just go back to the stock high beam halogens in the low beams.

If I did it over again I would do the Toshiba HIR bulbs. .

well reguardless high or low beam it's the same cost so if you have to buy bulbs anyways....just get the higher output 9005s

straight off the sylvania website

9005 SilverStar Headlight - 1700 lumens
9006 Silverstar Headlight - 1000 Lumens

i just went with the 9005 because there is a difference it's not huge but just better at night

Back