• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Looking into some modifications.. Questions?

Jared

New CEG'er
Well I finally got the 3.0 up and running right.
Turns out the miss I had was from a broken injector, replaced those and now its running like a champ.

Now here are some questions I've got.
It still dont have respectable low-end torque, I currently got the secondaries (What is the propper term for these) turned wide open.
I noticed people running gutted secondaries and understand they underwent a tune to run these?
I called around and Diablosport dont offer a tune for my box-code so they don't offer a tune for my Contour.

So in theory, if they're wide open now, if I get my second set, and gut them I wouldn't be losing any power, but it'd be at the same stage I'm at but w/ higher flow?
So Should I gut them and put gutted secondaries on?

I was wondering how you guys got your intake plenums polished? What methods do you use, is there a step-by-step?

Also was wondering if I would notice a difference in a cat-back exhaust system, or if its worth the money to go headers/performance cat/duels?
If so, what is the best setup you guys found so far?

Thanks guys in advance
-Jared

Secondary restriction thing AGAIN???

Secondary restriction thing AGAIN???

Well I finally got the 3.0 up and running right.
Turns out the miss I had was from a broken injector, replaced those and now its running like a champ.

Now here are some questions I've got.
It still dont have respectable low-end torque, I currently got the secondaries (What is the propper term for these) turned wide open.
I noticed people running gutted secondaries and understand they underwent a tune to run these?
I called around and Diablosport dont offer a tune for my box-code so they don't offer a tune for my Contour.

So in theory, if they're wide open now, if I get my second set, and gut them I wouldn't be losing any power, but it'd be at the same stage I'm at but w/ higher flow?

I was wondering how you guys got your intake plenums polished? What methods do you use, is there a step-by-step?

Also was wondering if I would notice a difference in a cat-back exhaust system, or if its worth the money to go headers/performance cat/duels?
If so, what is the best setup you guys found so far?

Thanks guys in advance
-Jared

Here is the misconception that most people have.
First lets ask a couple of key questions.
1.)What is the purpose of the secondary IMRC control?
2.) Where is the most flow needed in the engine rpm range?
3.) What happens when I pin them?
4.) What happens when I remove them?

First understand that the engine's air flow is dependent upon the displacement and the rpm range that it operates in.
For example, at 2000 rpm your 3L engine at normal vol. efficiency and full throttle can only move about 100cfm of air, though the real amount is surely less because of the cam design at this point.

AT 4500 rpm the engine can move around 235cfm, and at 6000rpm you are breaking 310 cfm. This is just based on assumed 100% vol efficiency, there are only a few times in the rpm range where that happens due to cam timing matched with intake manifold design, and in some cases it may exceed 100% in the optimum design ranges.
So we know we aren't going to be blowing much past 300cfm anyway on the best tuned engine and logically that isn't going to happen until well past 5000 rpm.

The dual runner system is designed to provide low restriction airflow to the rpms 4000 and above.
Below that rpm on a Naturally aspirated car the engine just cannot handle more airflow than only one intake runner can provide. It just cannot and mathematically you can indirectly prove it like with these airflow calculations
If you engine runs darn good at 5000 rpm then two runners must be supplying a decent amount of air for that flow rate.
IF you cut the rpm in half to 2500 then your airflow requirements cut in half as well. So you need half the runner size to supply it. I don't even want to try to discuss the superchargine effect that decreasing the runner size can provide at some rpm as well as the tuning length of the manifold reinforcing pressure waves. But suffice it to say that a slightly restrictive intake can impove the velocity of the air and to a point the faster air flowing with more momentum will fill the cylinder more than if you left it open to the air. The airflow in the primary runner while closing off the secondary runner achieves this goal around 3000 rpm but as it becomes restrictive the second runner opens up and air velocity begins to drop again. However the engine is accelerating rapidly so the velocity climbs again and by 5000 rpm the engine is happily singing along.

So when does this contraption become a restriction? How about when the airflow requirement of the engine exceeds the flow capacity of the two runners? When is that? Seems to me that on well tuned cars it with otherwise low restriction intakes it is about 7000 rpm but I cannot prove that as the cams, although still good at this rpm are now becoming less efficient on the other side of their tuned optimum rpm (5000).

So if you KNOW you will spend a lot of time reving 7000k and above, you may want to increase the flow capacity. I would say that all you really have to do is do what the SHOShop did back in the day and that is rebore the secondary IMRC runner in the lower intake out 2mm and add a new machined throttle plate to replace the older IMRC plates to fit. Then port out your secondary intake runner as well as perhaps. All this to gain maybe a bit more torque at 7K rpm. At least this way allows you to keep the IRMC system to keep low end torque boosted.

There are some who say that removing them on a 3L is no loss in torque. Ahh, but that is when comparing the new 3L with no secondaries to a 2.5L WITH secondaries. Of course the torque from another .5L is going to offset their removal. But what about a 3L with good porting of the secondary runner that retains them? Should be no loss in either realm of operation and you would have a boost in low-end by keeping them. Also, you can't get forced induction by removing them. Thats a nice way of saying making a bigger hole won't push more air in for you.

The Final Verdict:
In your case the secondaries are still there, so no high rpm gain potential through removing them, and that assumes the rest of your setup can rev to 7K and above to actually use it....for most NOT.
Then down low where you have more than enough airflow you are running into low intake airflow velocity issues by having them pinned. You produce less torque because the air is so slow.

So return them to operation and compare how it feels.
Remember that if you need more airflow at higher rpm then you can always make the existing system BIGGER to accomodate it without removing the benefits it had for the low end.

Sorry for that book above.

as far as the exhaust unless you go forced induction there is NO better mod then headers. Maybe the duals is a great #2 but an open 2.5" will work pretty well.

I already explained intake enlargement and don't forget the benefits of a big air filter system.

Last edited:
The IMRC is there to promote low rpm power by causing the UIM to use only the long runners. Long runners create slow moving, high density air as Tom talked on about in length. This is ideal for low rpm performance. This is far from ideal for mid and high rpm performance however. This latter portion is but a very small reason that a few folks have removed them.
People do not remove them to gain large amounts of power. They are removed to provide a better mid to high rpm powerband and to alleviate their abysmal operation during these rpm zones. (i.e. flutter, hesitation, slow/choppy opening, and CLOSING every time the throttle is not held wide open)
They are removed from a pure performance stand point but it is not because removing them and tuning for their removal generates a huge power gain.

Thank you both for the replys.

I appreciate that.

I had a slight bit of knowladge of what the IMRC does, and how it opreates and how it helps for low-end torque, and high rpm hp.

The only problem is, the motor I got in now the IMRC is powerd by the computer, unlike the 2.5 I took out which was powerd by vacume.
I'm not sure how I could hook it up to get it to operate funicontional (sp) and work the way its suposed to.

It would probilly be noticable on the low end side if I could get these to operate right.
The secondaires I put on are already acid dipped, cleaned, they look practilly brand new.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

I just thought.
IF I were to use the secondaries that was off the first 3.0 I put in, which too where vacume controlled, could I run them on a setup like the 2.5 was so it would open and close propperly?

If so could somone give me the sclamatics on how its suposed to be hooked up?

Two runners are use not only to have a higher velocity and the little bit of compression, but also to take advantage of resonate ram tuning. For ram tuning the long length is tuned for a lower RPM range and the short is for a higher range.

The theory behind Resonate Ram Tuning is the shock wave created when the intake valve closes moves back up the intake runner, bounces off the plenum wall and returns down the runner arriving at the intake valve when it opens creating an instant rush of air into the cylinder.

The problem with the oval port 3L engines is when you have the secondary valve in unless you weld up the oval port to match you are losing all velocity created by the single runner when the air enters the head and has access to both valves. I have not proven this theory, but I plan on looking into it when I get to work on my 3L project.

From what I can see on my 2.5L the secondary valves open too late. When mine open there is a substantial gain in horsepower. Which, in line of thinking means that if the secondaries opened sooner you could realize a little power earilier on, and maybe boost your 0-60 time a little.

Here is a link to some papers I wrote a couple years ago in college - if your interested:
http://www.hybridaction.com/Writeups.htm

Good luck

Back