• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

little dissapointment @ dragstrip

BAD SVT

Addicted CEG'er
so i ran my car at "friday midnight mayhem" tonite. wasnt too happy, but i believe i will do better next time. there were so many cars there so i only had time for two runs. anyway, here was my first run...first run ever by the way. never dragged a car b4.

dragtime1.jpg

my second run was actually worse. i said to myself, "heck. just let her rip. worst is i break an axle." so i did. unfortunately i just sat there spinning wheels. i'm not 100% positive, but i believe my shifter cables came undone as the car was just reving and going nowhere. i couldnt put it in gear for like a sec or two. miraculously, she got back in gear as i finished the run. that run will send me back to the alignment shop, as my alignment is now outta wack. my buddy had a video from his cell phone. i'll get it from him later. just wanted to share my story. i do believe with better axles and a higher boost(only running 7.5lbs now), theres no reason i shouldnt hit low 13s

Were you the 14.5 or the 15.8?

My best time in my turbo was a 14.4 and that was the first time at the track with that car. I dont know about anyone else but driving a turbo'd car on the track is ALOT different than a n/a car on the track, atleast the launching is alot different. I spun off the line most times too, I dont think there is much you can do about that, or you bogg out like I did a few times.

Whats funny is i was running about a 14.9 at 97MPH in my turboed Zetec while letting off part way through 4th gear. lack of low end torque in a contour FTW :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Whats funny is i was running about a 14.9 at 97MPH in my turboed Zetec while letting off part way through 4th gear. lack of low end torque in a contour FTW :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Then you blew up the engine. :laugh: I can only assume the lack of torque helped out a lot....as weird as that sounds. Sometimes I hate our cars...no traction FTL.

I am guessing he ran the 14 time. If not he get a major trout slap. LOL

Yeah thats my guess too. I as well as Bad needs alot of practice on these cars I assume, cause I either spun like crazy, or bogged off the line. My very first run I ran a 16.1 cause I spun into 3rd. But my runs got better and better each time I made a pass, ending with a 14.4 @ 103mph.

Then you blew up the engine. :laugh: I can only assume the lack of torque helped out a lot....as weird as that sounds. Sometimes I hate our cars...no traction FTL.

I am guessing he ran the 14 time. If not he get a major trout slap. LOL
yeah, unfortunatly. :(

The contour is one of the few platforms were less low end torque is a good thing.

Yeah thats my guess too. I as well as Bad needs alot of practice on these cars I assume, cause I either spun like crazy, or bogged off the line. My very first run I ran a 16.1 cause I spun into 3rd. But my runs got better and better each time I made a pass, ending with a 14.4 @ 103mph.

103 is berry nice though.

Were you the 14.5 or the 15.8?

My best time in my turbo was a 14.4 and that was the first time at the track with that car. I dont know about anyone else but driving a turbo'd car on the track is ALOT different than a n/a car on the track, atleast the launching is alot different. I spun off the line most times too, I dont think there is much you can do about that, or you bogg out like I did a few times.

:laugh: cmon ryan. gimmie some credit. of course i'm on the left. funny thing is my buddies said that the time on the board read 14.4442. somehow i got a 14.5 printout. weird. ryan u said u have a boost controller. u should've done better once u flipped that switch. remember, this was all on the stock spring from joey's kit.(7.5psi) had i a bc, i would've been in the 13s, no doubt about that. and thats my next move. install my BC before heading back in a few weeks.

Yes I flipped the switch into 14psi when I hit 2nd gear. I am gonna play with it next time I go and see about flipping it in 3rd and such and see what works out best.

I have a set of drag radials mounted on svtf rims, I didnt use them cause I had the stock axle in the drivers side. Once I get the stage 2 back in,the car re-runed and an external battery cutoff switch I will go back to the track with them. My track sucks, ANY car with the battery relocated to the rear must have a external battery cutoff.

Im beginning to wonder if ill ever buy another csvt. I hate front wheel drive and i just realized how much i hated it like a week ago lol.....

I have a set of drag radials mounted on svtf rims, I didnt use them cause I had the stock axle in the drivers side. Once I get the stage 2 back in,the car re-runed and an external battery cutoff switch I will go back to the track with them. My track sucks, ANY car with the battery relocated to the rear must have a external battery cutoff.

That is a NHRA/IHRA rule i believe, you track doesnt suck, it just inforces the rules. :laugh:

If there was a fuel fire would you like to watch the car burn or have some one flip your switch. :cool:

That is a NHRA/IHRA rule i believe, you track doesnt suck, it just inforces the rules. :laugh:

If there was a fuel fire would you like to watch the car burn or have some one flip your switch. :cool:
Yep, exactly.
Even if its a street car, you can disconnect the cut-off handle in the one I got and only use it at the strip.
-J

So there's about 1000 posts of no traction and 1 guy thats tried DRs?
You guys crack me up sometimes.
-J

here's the thing; we FI'd guys have only heard about axles snapping at tracks, and so on n so forth. problem is not many of us are willing to take the risk of running the car hard and breaking things. they say cegers are always broke. partially true. i've spent too much money on my car for me to tear it apart trying to break some numbers. just look at me... i decided to push it a bit harder on my second run and my shift cables disengage.:nonono: demon could drive, no doubt. i'd venture n say he had some luck also not breaking anything. don't get me wrong. i will go back to the track when it next opens up. here are the next to dos before then;
-stage 2 axles or custom
-BC
-DRs
once these three are in place, i believe i will do much better.

Back