• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lights Flickering after new Alt

Kelbmens

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hey guys, I’m new here and bought my ‘98 CSVT in February I recently replaced my alternator and shortly afterward had to replace it again after being brought to a no crank no start state. It ran perfectly fine for a week or so afterward and now at idle or while moving my instrument cluster lights as well as the exterior lights on my car flicker pretty intensely. The cluster is NOT original on this car so my tach reading is already incorrect but now the lights flicker and there is no charge indicator light warning of alternator failure. Figured I’d ask for help before throwing parts at it.

First check would be the voltage regulator which is part of the alternator. These are a common fail point. Also, apparently reman alternators are known to have issues on these cars, so you may have just got a bad one.

My alternator charges well, but my lights also flicker. I plan to be changing out the alternator over the winter and hope that will remedy the issue.

Flicking lights means that the alternator might be over charging/not charging correctly. Was this a new or reman unit?

Could be the voltage sensing wire gone bad. See the Ford Tech Safety Bulletin 00-25-06 for instructions to bypass the sensing wire. I have the same problem but have not performed the work due to the difficulty in getting to the alternator. Planning to do the repair this winter now that I have an extra car to drive and don't need to make sure it is drivable on a Monday.

I figure a new alternator is cheap enough these days that if I’m getting in that deep to mess with it, I’m just replacing the whole thing, with warranty. Plus my alternator is more than likely original, so I’d rather replace it for extra peace of mind.

Back