• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lifters...

I didn't think you left the seafoam in though. Shouldn't I add it to the oil that is in there now and then change it later then? Because that would be a waste of oil haha

A Seafoam tech guy said to leave it in for 100-200 miles. You shouldn't drive it around more than that because of how dirty it'll make the oil.

How did you determine it was your a lifter tick? I'm trying to diagnose what's causing my tick/chatter sound.... I think it's a failing injector, but *could* be a lifter. Not sure how to distinguish which could be causing it.

I put the seafoam in it today and drove about 15 miles. Maybe it's in my head, but the tick almost seems louder. I think it's just me being paranoid though. I'll let it go a few more days and then change the oil. If it still sounds like crap, I'll pull the valve covers off this weekend.

...I don't think owners quite understand that there are NO lifters on a V6, they are lash adjusters and do NOT move when the camshaft opens the valves...they are the 'pivot point' of the finger follower. All they do in operation is take up the valve lash and once taken up they do NOT move every time the valve is opened....Very rare to have a bad 'lash adjuster'.....the normal fault is it will leak down oil overnight and cause some rattle on start up then go quiet. To keep calling them lifters implies that they move with the valve gear...they don't!!!

I have been hearing them called Hydrolic lifters for god knows how long.When i shot the roller rocker threw my valve cover yes straight threw.Very ugly.the Hydrolic lifter was bad go to find out.No compression in it.

Back