• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Leveling the field: Applying turbo tech to a Vortech

For a street car, where such limits don't exist, just up the max boost a bit and throw a little more fuel at it in the calibration.
I'm interested in this because i want to put an S/C on a stock motor where the suggested max psi is limited to 7. I think a wastegate is the wrong name...what is meant is a 'bleed off valve'. Unless your gonna drill a hole in the compressor housing and put a spring loaded valve on it...G.

Unless your gonna drill a hole in the compressor housing and put a spring loaded valve on it...G.

Still not a wastegate.

Bypass or Blowoff valve would probably be most appropriate... Bleed off i guess could work too.

Dumping the air out after the intercooler also works the intercooler harder and would keep it at a higher temp instead of letting it cool down.

But, I'm serious that if someone came up w/ a good, reliable variable speed drive for an SC it would be a major step forward.

It's called an electric drive supercharger with a controller to regulate the rpm to obtain the needed boost pressure seen at the intake...

But no one has really developed a system other then TurboDyne, which I believe named it the VAT system or something (I'll google it and find out), which hasn't been released to the public. There was some dispute with TurboDyne and Honeywell and then somewhere Delphi bought out TurboDyno... I don't know I grew tired of following all of the business news revolving around it.

The initial idea behind the concept was to provide turbo diesel semi's boost before the turbo spooled up... I saw it in an Automotive Engineering magazine a few years back.

Edit: Scratch that I guess it's called the TurboPac. Delphi must have there own system that I was thinking of...

I've seen the TurboPac, and I'd still be very hesitant to call it "good" or reliable" just yet. I hope it gets there, but there are reasons its not in widespread use yet.

I've seen the TurboPac, and I'd still be very hesitant to call it "good" or reliable" just yet. I hope it gets there, but there are reasons its not in widespread use yet.

Did you see it physically in person or was it through a magazine or web article? Just curious.

I haven't seen it in person, but I have seen some technical documentation several years ago. It just still isn't ready for prime time. It's been in development for nearly a decade, and was licensced to one of the major turbo players back in 2000 I think (Honeywell/Garrett) and it still hasn't seen anything resembling production.

I haven't seen it in person, but I have seen some technical documentation several years ago. It just still isn't ready for prime time. It's been in development for nearly a decade, and was licensced to one of the major turbo players back in 2000 I think (Honeywell/Garrett) and it still hasn't seen anything resembling production.

Ah that might have been all the fuss I was reading about with Honeywell and TurboDyne regarding the law suits.

Back