• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

LETS PLAY A GAME!!! Name that Motor!!

Still haven't figured out.... 2.4 vs 3.0 same water pumps, spark plugs ect? Do all 3.0 duratec's use the same plugs? What do I ask for at the parts counter?

if the dealers are anything like those here in the uk, it's better to take the bits you have to the dealer and say "this is what i need" as most of the time they tell you that it was "never available for your car" or "computer says no" to which you reply "but this is what i've taken out and it's part number so and so" etc until they give up and get someone who knows what they are talking about from somewhere else in the dealership :laugh:

that's a 2001-2003 taurus/sable motor.

that shiny box on the front valve cover is the IMRC as stated before. you can take that off and sell it (assuming it works still)

as for plugs, etc.

for basic stuff, you need parts for a contour SVT. things you cannot use from an SVT that you may someday replace would be:

Upper intake manifold gaskets
Lower intake manifold gaskets
Throttle body gaskets
Idle air control valve

the plugs should be the same for both engines, as they are the same heat range. i run NGK TR6's in my engine. you can also run TR55's or some type of iridium plug.

good buy on the 3L. you have more power than a stock engine, and more reliability. good luck! everything you need to know can be asked by simply asking or using the search functions :)

damn, everybody beat me to it. it's super easy to tell thats an 01-03 engine, because the newer 3.0 uims have two separate plenums for the front and back banks, linked be a little bridge in the back. the 02 style uims have that "donut" type plenum for both banks.

that is unless the uim had been switched, youll see a fair bit of older engines with the newer uims around here, and with me, I started out with an o2 and didn't feel like redoing all the vac lines so I'm just stuffing an 02 uim on my 04. this is not recomended though.

when I look for parts I search the year taurus the engine is from, vin code S (this indicates duratec)

the only parts that should be contour specific are electronics, air filter, front accessories (PAS pump, ac pump, alternator, serpintine belt, ect), and coolant hoses.

[edit] the taurus pcm will not work, it is pinned differently, and it also insists the be a signal from an auto trans.

go on e-bay, pick up an unlocked X-cal2 (200 +/-), one where the car it came from was returned to stock (the xcal "locks" to a car when it is storing the stock tune), then go to joey at nautilus and order a tune. its around 200 for the performance tune, or 100 for a base tune. the base tune will delete your imrc, move your rev limiter, delete the top speed, and a few other things besides getting your fuel mapping into check. the performance tune changes timing a little and some other things resuting in around a 35hp gain. cheap power if you ask me.

you will need to know which injectors they used on the build, if they are 17's you need to upgrade. you'll also need to know the pcm strategy before talking to joey. this can be decifered from the pcm code on the actual pcm, or by reading your strategy with the Xcal.

Back