• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

kerosine engine flush ???????????????????

I did a similar with diesel fuel to my fullsize Bronco. I ran probably 50/50 oil and diesel for 8 minutes. It seemed to help performance. My brother has done it to his Bronco II a couple times. He has 200,000 original miles and still ticking.

This is a very dangerous statement and I completely disagree. Back in the "old days", engines did not have as high compression and tight tolerances of newer engines (especially if it were a V8). Try that with our high compression and tight tolerance engines (and with regular mineral oil) and you are asking for trouble. Yes, I have seen those commercials by Quaker State where after leaving the oil out, they run the engine for quite some time with no oil and it "seems" fine.

With our Duratecs, just having a few seconds without oil and the bearings are toast. We have had many posts on this. And this does not have to do with whether you agree to put half quart above the max line or not.

I consider it a very dangerous thing to run the engine with no oil.

That said, I'll make a few more comments.

Loosing a rod bearing on a Duratec due to low oil pressure would probably be much worse if the engine were under load. There is less likelyhood of damage with little or no load on the engine.

On the other side of the coin, I have been absolutly amazed at how much punishment some engines can take. While working in a Volvo dealership a few years back, one of the techs (actually one of the better ones) forgot to refill the engine after draining the oil. The customer had made arrangements to pick it up after hours. He had his wife drive it home while he followed in the other car. It was about 20 miles, most of it on the freeway. When they got home his wife told him "honey, there is a warning light on". He had it towed back that night and was there to meet us when the shop opened. As he watched, we removed the pan and turned the engine over to inspect the cylinders for any scoring (non found), and then pulled the bearings for inspection (all were fine). We put it back together, filled it with oil, and started it up. It ran fine. The dealership bought him an extended warranty with the understanding that should he have any lubrication related engine failure as long as the warranty was in effect, the dealership would pay the deductable. As far as I know, he had no further problems. I don't know if that was a testimony to the durability of Volvo engines, or if it was a testimony to the oil (Pennzoil).

I have also seen where for entertainment, the oil was drained from a junker car and the engine run until it stopped on it's own. Some ran for hours before they siezed up.

One shop I worked in (and I didn't like this practice, it is part of the reason that I left), when there was an engine noise complaint with an obvious rod knock, they would drain the oil and drive it hard until the rod was thrown. They believed that it was "comeback insurance" to make sure that the engine was replaced instead of just repaired. The techs held contests to see who could make an engine blow up the quickest. The shortest distance I remember was about 40 feet.

As a technician, I remember a car that the tech working next to me was working on. He was an honest tech. It came in with an engine noise complaint. He was gently reving the engine in his stall to try to determine what the noise was. The engine scattered at about 2500 rpm.

So, running without proper lubrication is about like playing football on the freeway. You might get away with it, and you might not. Please don't do it on a freeway I'm driving on.

+1. Big Jim FTW. :cool:
Exactly. I know my engine has been well cared for with proper oil changes (synthetic at that for atleast most of its life) and I will continue to do the same. For my SVT, that usually means oil changes at around every 3k miles. I'd go longer but I don't drive it much and when I do, it gets ringed out so I prefer to be cautious and change it.
The only time I would consider a flush of any sort is if a significant amount of something got in the oil. Like we once had a taurus come in that somebody had added nearly a gallon of antifreeze to the oil.:nonono:

As far as seeing cars with little oil in them still running, well yeah I've seen that too. But there are things you have to consider here. Were they a duratec? Were they driven hard? How much damage may have been caused from running with little oil that may not be apparent at the time?
I've also seen cars come in just a quart low and already be depriving the top part of the engine of oil.

If anyone who is reading this is seriously considering running their car with little to no oil in it, please drive to Harrry's house first. It can be his responsibility to repair the damage afterwards.

Spinning a bearing takes a SPLIT SECOND drop in oil pressure... how much oil pressure do you think you will have in your car with NO OIL in it?

For those that are touting this as a proper thing to do: do a little reading, perhaps a little more learning..

For those that believe the above mentioned posters: do the same.

To be honest i would never do it. So i also withdraw my statment of running the car with kerosine. Now a SOHC,DOHC now way in hell would a car last... Well the recomendation of running kerosine is bad idea. I don't know why i stated that.

Either way i have seen alot of **** bad and good from cars with no oil. It jsut shows some engines were built better than others etc.
Regardless i would not reccomend doing this type of flush.

If anything just keep changing the oil every 1,000 miles. up to 5 times. That will help clean out the engine.

ha when i was assit manager at a Valvoline instant oil change store. I sold engine flushs like crazy. The stuff did smell like kerosine. The funny thing is it worked great!

The point i am making i remember a few customers that would come in. ask us to drain the oil. Then leave the engine running for 2-3mins with the oil drained!!! I always let them do this to there cars. Of course i had them sign a sheet permiting us to do so.

Anywyas nothing ever happend and guess what?? These guys had over 200k miles on these engines. Of course they were old timers. 2 of the cars 's had been Coming to that location since they bought new in the 1980's.

So the idea of having no oil in the engine and running kerosine and casuing it to dmg the engine is almost impossible after what i witnessed working there for 4 years.

People use to come in having 1 quart of oil. I was amazed.
I could tell stories all night.

1 guy came in 25k miles lease vehicle never changed oil once. Had 1.5 quarts in an expedition. we removed the oil filter and nothing came out. So these are examples of many engines i have seen. These people made me beleive different of all the old made up stories of "a engine couldn't run 10 seconds without oil"

I ran a four stroke 8 hp snowblower with no oil once. It ran for about 45 seconds before the engine seized. I will NEVER run my motors without oil.

I did come to think about it, run a Briggs and Stratton 3.25 HP Motor without oil for a few, it ran, for a small portion of cutting my lawn... but probaly because it had some lubercation stuck between the seals... I was getting rid of it anyway, it ended up getting a bad case of the knocks, and then seized up.

Back