• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Keeping it in the NE-CEG family

FrozenSection

CEG'er
Just sold my Mystique to Tony (CSVT1214). I think they got a pretty good deal for a low-mileage 1995... I'll let you know when the threatening e-mails come later this week. :D :D :D

This puts me onto the official trolling list as well. In the meanwhile, time to sink some money and sweat into my pimp-mobile...

Technically, the Mystique is for his stepdad, although I'm really happy that someone in CEG could use it. It was one of the earlier 1995s and had all the Contique frills (e.g. rear dome light, electric antenna, mechanical speedo cable)... would've been a shame for me to junk it.

damn, that put tony up to 4?...three svt's and a mystique...nicely done

Po whats your next car?

It's a friend's Jag... need to stockpile some cash before I can pick that baby up, though, so it ain't going to happen until maybe late 2007/early 2008. :D

This isn't the car, but here's a link to a similar:
http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_view.php3?id=1147389429

The Series III XJ12's are a rarity in the US, since due to emissions standards at the time, only XJ6's (DOHC 4.9L inline-six) were imported. My friend's XJ12 was shipped over. It's a sweet ride, but everything about that car follows the '2X Rule': parts cost twice what they should, twice the number of cylinders so twice the hassle, two struts/springs per wheel, two intakes, two fuel pumps, two fuel tanks, etc.

That said, when I get out to Oregon, if I see a Contique Zetec/MTX with fold-down rear seats (something like what BrApple has), I'd definitely give it serious thought.

Yup, the Mystique had a nice drive home. My stepdad said it ran perfect. No problems. I was a little worried since it's a ATX and being 1995 that it wouldn't shift smooth, but he said it was fine.

It may need an alignment soon, because it was pulling to the right (I believe).

I'll be ordering new headlights, and a new front license plate frame soon. We might hit up the junkyard this weekend for the dash bezel. The passenger side front door won't open from outside, so I might have to grab some parts from my parts car to fix that. Overall, the car is mint and I love it.

I was thinking since it was a GS it would be stripped of all options. But then I saw it had power windows, locks, mirrors, antenna, cruise control, fold down seats, power drivers seat. I was pretty shocked.

Thanks again Po!

if you cant find the dash part you are looking for, let me know.
there were tons of contiques at Hollands Junkyard when i went there this weekend.

sorry, no working double pre98 cup holders.
haha

I was thinking since it was a GS it would be stripped of all options. But then I saw it had power windows, locks, mirrors, antenna, cruise control, fold down seats, power drivers seat. I was pretty shocked.

Thanks again Po!

gets you thinking doesn't it ... my mystique has everything but sunroof, premium sound, V6, leather and of course an atx ... it has traction control power antenna, locks, windows, mirrors, keyless entry, etc ... but then again mine is a LS also ...

Glad to hear the ride went uneventfully. Definitely recommend ATX fluid changes with every other oil change -- that's why I never had a problem with my trans. Re. the front passenger door: If you grab the latch as far left as possible and really lift up, it will open... but yeah, it might be time to replace a part or two.

Elky: The twin pre-98 cupholders in mine are still intact. :D

Glad you and your stepdad like it -- I take good care of my stuff. Many thanks to skunk, BrApple, and the senior Applegate for helping with the cruise control servo and the serpentine belt.

Please mail those plates back at your earliest convenience -- in the wonderful state of Massachusetts, we can't discontinue insurance without first turning in the plates to the Registry of Motor Vehicles... <sheesh> :rolleyes:

Yup, the Mystique had a nice drive home. My stepdad said it ran perfect. No problems. I was a little worried since it's a ATX and being 1995 that it wouldn't shift smooth, but he said it was fine.

It may need an alignment soon, because it was pulling to the right (I believe).

I'll be ordering new headlights, and a new front license plate frame soon. We might hit up the junkyard this weekend for the dash bezel. The passenger side front door won't open from outside, so I might have to grab some parts from my parts car to fix that. Overall, the car is mint and I love it.

Thanks again Po!

Po, the plates are going in the mail today for ya.

I was going over the car and found little things I want to fix.

1. Interior lights do not turn on when opening any door. Central timer maybe?
2. Door handle light on drivers side doesn't light.
3. Trunk light out.
4. Trunk struts are shot.
5. Door courtesy lights busted.
6. Tie rods are shot. About 1 inch of play each way when turning the wheel.
7. Low idle.
8. Passenger front door handle stuck.
9. Interior trunk release cable disconnected or broken somewhere.

All very small things that I can fix with no problem. I'll spend some time on Friday working on this stuff. I'm hoping the junkyard will be open because I want to see if I can find some stuff.

I may throw the E1's from the 2000 on it this winter. I think that would give it a nice look and a little better handling upgrading from 14" wheels.

One thing that pissed me off. The car drivers smoother and quieter than my car. :cry: :laugh:

I really need to fix up my suspension ASAP. :blackeye:

I really need to fix up my suspension ASAP. :blackeye:

you should hear mine now thanks to 18's!!

somthing is seriously broken like a sway bar or somthing and that metal on metal sound is not going away!!! I've noticed it gradually increses with speed, almost like somthing with the axle, and over bumps its louder but the axel was changed before the newport meet..I dont understand, I know elky knows what im talking about cause he heard it too..I've had this for over 2 years now :shrug:

i thought we figured out it was one of the bolts for the LCA hitting the tranny?
and didnt we fix it?

i thought we figured out it was one of the bolts for the LCA hitting the tranny?
and didnt we fix it?

no mike that was the grinding sound..lol..this sound is like a metal bar hitting another metal bar type of sound..lol i know I have a million sounds commin off my car LOL..

wo0t!!1!

I fixed up some stuff with the Mystique.

1. Interior lights turning on now with doors. Not actually sure what caused it. I checked all fuses, changed the relay, no difference. All I did was plug the clock and defroster back in, then it worked fine. I thought that it was causing the circuit to be incomplete, but I unplugged the defroster and clock after but the lights continued to work fine. :shrug: I did have to changed 2 door sensors though. Opening the front doors didn't always kick on the lights. Wiggle the switch and it would work fine. Fixed now.

2. Door handle light replaced. Pulled a couple from the junk yard in some Pre-98 Tours.

3. Trunk light pulled from my parts car and put in. I can see in the trunk at night now. :cool:

4. Trunk release handle working now. The switch was flipped inside the trunk. So Po, how long have you been opening the trunk with the key because of that? :crazy:

5. Replaced blown front door speaker with one of my stock SVT speakers. Sounds 1000 times better now.

6. Clock bulb installed.

7. Broken weatherstripping on drivers door replaced.

8. Doors greased up and smooth now. Could barely open the rears and all my neighbors could hear them a mile away before. :laugh:

I went to the junkyard for the dash bezel and courtesy lights but they had no Pre-98 Mystiques. :mad: Only one Mystique, 98.5-00, and of course didn't have the parts I needed. New trunk struts, headlights, license plate frame, battery coming soon. It doesn't look like the outter tie rods were the problem with the steering now. They both look fine. Problem is coming from farther inside the steering rack.

I took the Mystique out tonight to run some errands and I love it. Very smooth and comfortable to drive. My SVT is a little too rough when I want to just cruise around and relax.

Oh and, I finally got a nice complete Pre-98 center console. I just need to order some Midnight Blue interior paint from Team Ford, and leather armrest cover, e-brake boot, and shift boot from Redline.

I'm going to relocate my stereo down to the lower DIN slot. I liked how when I had my stock shifter, the stereo was at perfect height to rest your hand on the shifter and change stations and what not. Now I have to raise my hand off the shifter to do it. With the stereo in the lower slot it will be perfect again. :cool:

Last edited:
Hah! I thought it was the trunk latch lock (or whatever you call it). Very common problem on the boards it seems.

Back