• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

just got it running today! boosted 2.5

marianiman

CEG'er
so a few months ago i had a dream to start piecing together a turbo setup. finally ive finished the hard part. now, theres just a few things to settle. like a good tune. heres what im working with...

gasket matched ported intake and exhaust

forged weisco pistons with fully floating rods

custom made msds headers with v bands to t3 flanged collector

38mm v-band emusa wastegate... not the best i know, but cheap as hell

turbosmart supersonic bov

greddy 3inch core intercooler

2.5 intercooler plumbing pieced and cut from 2 civic kits

90 degree 2.5 in v-band downpipe to 2 ft of exhaust lol dumps out of right infront of driver front tire

zeitronix zt-2 wideband with lcd display and datalogging

apexi afc neo for a tune for the time being

50$ afpr from ebay

custom fuel rail with -6an fittings installed to run afpr

24# 90s cobra injectors

90s cobra maf

the turbo is a holset h1c that i got off of a crane lol. paid 60$ from the local junkyard. im looking to change it up though, the exhaust is simply too big. 1.12 ar... ya, id like to get something like 70ish ar so i get boost before 4400.

getting the tune dialed in has proved very difficult, and cold starts are not in my favor due to lack of back pressure, but im workin on it. heres some pics of the install.

IMAG0306..jpg
IMAG0309..jpg
IMAG0310..jpg
IMAG0313..jpg
IMAG0307..jpg

Last edited:
thanks. ya, im trying to find a smaller exhaust housing. this thing whistles like crazy lol i never thought id hear that coming from my car. this things so addicting.

that was actually cf at one time... oxidized so bad there was no saving it. then i went through 6 cans of duplicolor silver frost, was wetsanding it right near the vent and sanded through the paint. so i decided, rather than repaint the whole hood again and spend another 8$ on a can, im just gonna tape off a cool little design and paint it black. i think it came out alright, not exactly fast and furious but at least theres no tribal figures along the side of my car haha

Huge FMIC FTW. Needs more vroom psshh now.

My buddy is running a Holset turbo, or was, on his 240. He only ran like, a baby 7 or 10 pounds, and with his fully built KA, he was making some good power. Now he put a 1J in it lol

this thing is so laggy im about to pick up a 70 ar exhaust housing for the h1c, which should cut spool time down a ton. im only on 5-6 lbs right now due to lack of a good tune, but a few more datalogging pulls and i should have it pretty decent. hoping for some more boost soon. its so addicting

if the ar on my exhaust side wasnt so huge, itd be much better. i wish i could get full boost by then. when this thing comes on, i feel like its just the tip of the iceburg considering its not even close to its efficiency range. i could run like 40 psi from this thing if my engine wouldnt grenade... hmmm gives me some ideas when i want to have fun before a 3L swap haha

If we ever have another meet in the area you should come out. We have had a few in Atlanta and I am sure we will do another one eventually.

dont tempt me haha, id like to get the tune spot on before i drive it anywhere, but an atl meet could be obtainable. listen though, this is no show quality setup. its pieced together like crazy. good news is that i got a line on a turbo that im gonna change out this one for. its a .70ar compressor, .68 turbine, which i think will be perfect for how i want to drive it.
heres the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260889088594?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
i talked to the guy and he said hell ship it and everything for 125$. sounds like a good deal to me. im sure ill be seeing boost before 4400 for sure

so i had to rework my maf location. i am a retard and ran it in my charge pipes, it is now placed before the inlet of the turbo and is running worlds better. i might even drive it to work tomorrow lol. a/fs look good 13.7 across the board unless at wot which is currently running 11.2s across the board. this afc neo and datalogging zeitronix wideband makes tuning a breeze. i thought it was gonna be an absolute nightmare to tune, but the only thing i have to figure out now is how to get it to idle without any help from my right foot.
heres a pic of the new placement of the maf. lots of crazy mashing pipes together to make stuff fit. no filter on it yet, but its next on my list

IMAG0331(2)..jpg

I had really poor off throttle idle and such without a filter. My filter simply slipped off the intake pipe once while driving around town, in front of the maf mind you, and the car would bog, surge, and stall at low RPM/light throttle. So, maybe just smoothing out the intake air with a filter will help.

Also, are you venting your BOV to atmosphere? If so, make sure it is sealing completely at idle. Again, I had one that would leak at idle, essentially allowing in a bunch of un-metered air. That caused stalling and idle issues for me too.

Thanks shogofast ya I figured with my atmospheric bov id have some problems. Its definitely an issue... don't know what I'm gonna do there... I can definitely see about a filter. At this point I'm just glad it runs lol. So I ordered a new turbo, .68ar 11blade exhaust housing t3 flanged, and a 70ar 7 blade compressor. Well see how that spools, should be much better. :) I will be trying the filter tonight and I have to sort out a leak at the pan with my oil return. Then, an expensive trip to the exhaust shop and it should be quieter again and no worries about floating exhaust valves haha

so i put a filter on it and fine tuned it a little more. wow. this things a rocket. 7lbs of boost and 2nd and 3rd gear are completely useless. wheelspin and/or clutch slip. soooo exciting its finally running well though. next step is getting the exhaust hooked up and some final tuning then im good

So its running much better now with a full recirculating bov, filter and fine tuning. On 7lbs this things a beast. Traction is definitely an issue though. 1st and 2nd is pretty useless when I'm in boost. But wow. I'm very impressed. After all is said and done I've pieced everything together for a little more than a grand, and after selling off parts from preturbo, I've only spent around 500 bucks. It might not be show quality, but hell, its a turbo csvt dd. I surprise soooo many people on a daily basis.

Back