• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

It Was Good while it lasted

2000myst

Veteran CEG'er
NE-CEG,

It is time to move on from the Mystique. This past friday I noticed that the car was handling very poorly and decided to take a look underneath. Well, the entire driver's side rear subframe rotted out and at some point fell off the car. There is now only about a half inch of support left to hold the suspension on the car. Thus, it has come to a point where I am going to move on.

My current plan is to sell the remaining items of my car which were aftermarket installs: Intake, Gold wheels, and speakers. I will also be "trying" to sell the car to someone who wants to spend the time to replace the subframe. I will post shortly the link to the classified ad if anyone is interested. It's a sad day :(. I was hoping the car would last me until the end of the summer.

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showt...S-2.0L-Zetec-w-ED-Bodykit&p=913447#post913447

What am I going to do in the mean time? I will be rocking the Soccer mom mini-van.:cool: Why? I am foolishly waiting for the Focus ST to come available. I am hoping it is sometime soon, as in September. If not, well, I don't know what I am going to do. I am still debating that.

Now, this does not mean I will be leaving the CEG community. I realize I have not been around for quite some time. I do hope to show off my new car once I get it, and hopefully it is the ST. I'm sure everyone on here will be a tad bit interested in seeing it, even if it's not something you would consider.

Thanks for some good times guys. :laugh:

Dan

Last edited:
Hmmm just did one this weekend on my grandfathers car.... 228 shipped rear subframe and swaybar brackets from will titus ford. I still have the old one, could weld the swaybar bracket supports? The rest of it's still good.

that sucks man.
but as jd said, it could be replaced for a reasonable price if you wanted to keep driving it...
then you would have something to trade in at ST buying time!

Wow, that is the worst subframe rot I have ever seen! Yikes.... good luck fixing or getting a new car :cool:

I have a spare subframe waiting to go on my car as soon as the rest of my parts come in. I could be talked out of my currently installed one pretty easily.
Its in great shape, And I'm local.
Expecting it to be available by the middle of May.

PM me if interested

I could even do my own subframe only swap sooner if you were willing to pay a little extra since I would need another alignment. Could probably get it to you in under two weeks in that case.

Consider replacing the subframe even if you just plan on keeping the car until September. You can make back the money by selling a running vehicle.
Either way though, it has had a good run!

I have a subframe sitting in the corner of my garage... even if the mounts are bad, I can fix it easily. PM me man, I'll hook you up!

So, after all that I ended up fixing the subframe, actually it was replaced.

I need to give a BIG BIG Thank you to Greg(Aircougar) for doing the swap and hooking me up big time.

I realized that there was no way I could drive my mom's car for that long and decided I would inquire about how much it would be to replace the subframe. I was thinking $500-$700 which I thought wouldn't be worth it. Greg was able to do the work for a fraction of the cost and now I have my car back. Now I can hold off a little bit longer for the new car and get more $$$ as a trade in.

I also cannot believe I made it from Southern CT to Greg's place without the car coming apart. The subframe was ridiculous. Check it out...

Old Subframe
0509011438.jpg

New Subframe
0509011408.jpg

The Comparison
0509011456a.jpg

One more...
0509011454.jpg

that was the worst subframe i have seen! real messy job, too... rust everwhere!!!

i am very glad to help save this car... and its funny, despite all the rust in the subframe, all the bolts came out fairly easily...

Holy Crap, idk how u made it up there especially with the bumps in Springfield. Btw, thats one nice newer sub frame you got there, ur welcome haha

That's insane! Glad to see you decided to fix it up. It just didn't seem right to junk the car after all the work you've done. Greg has saved me so many times. I'd be lost without his work.

Back