• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

It might be time

svtavino

CEG'er
Well guys it might be time to let my SVT go. I have had it for almost 22 years and still get comments on how nice it looks. Problem is the rust hidden under the skirts. The rust got in pretty far under the rockers and I am not sure it will be worth saving at this point. Not sure what I am going to do with it since I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it to someone unless it was for parts. At this point it has a 3.0 with 20k miles on it a limited slip and pretty much all the suspension replaced. I was even able to source stainless hard brake lines. What do you guys think? Anyone in New England need a parts car?

I don't want to waste your time but I'd be curious to hear a bit more about your car and its specs and see some pics. Would you be selling it as is or pulling some parts first before passing it on?

It would not be a waste of time at all. I just took a bunch of pictures this weekend. I would like to sell the whole car and extra parts if I can but could part it out if necessary. I think the only thing I would be pulling is stereo parts. I still have the original engine which I would be including. Also have 3 sets of wheels. Is your email the same as 20 years ago. I just checked my email and I have something from NECEG with it. If not send me PM with it and we can discuss. Only other thing is I will be driving it until I get a new car which I hope to be ordering soon and might take up to 3-4 months to get.

Yeah its still a hotmail. In case anyone else might be interested, if you want to post pics here for others to see, I don't mind. I was asking with the slightest curious interest that I might be looking. No concerns if anyone else is more seriously interested over me and wants to take you up on an offer. Not gonna hurt my feelings.

The coating all over everything is fluid film. Wish it had helped a little bit more. With the skirts on it still looks pretty good. The new diff was installed in 2016 at that time I did a refresh on the 2.5 engine with gaskets and hoses. Then it started knocking a year later and the new engine went in 2017 (this was a new old stock engine fresh from the factory). It has a mail order tune. All the suspension and brake lines were redone in 2018. It has been running great since. I found the rust last fall when I went to put the winter tires on and the side skirt sort of fell off. Many parts have a lot of life left in them. 20220828_114004.jpg

Oh, yes sir, that's a bunch of Rust. Real shame cause the car is really nice , except the bottom foot of the sheet metal all around. That's a ton of metal fab, I can certain see why you'd feel , you need to be up front about it & wouldn't feel comfortable selling it to someone unless it was for parts.

The damn Skirt drain holes don't do nothing, crap design.

Same thing happen to my 93 SHO (NW NJ), I was afraid to drive it anymore.

I could've sworn I remember you having a black svt, not green. I know I have some rust on my car in similar spots. I don't think it's as advanced. I should probably pull my side skirts to look since I've never done that. I might end up being in a similar situation as you. Your car looks super clean with the side skirts on.

Yea I have always had the green one. Yea it was surprising when I went to change the tires and the skirt just came off. The passenger side isn't as bad but still pretty rough. I had never taken them off before that and that may have been some of the problem. Both front fenders are completely gone where the skirt is. I wish I had paid more attention and had it fixed a few years ago. But it really didn't seem that bad at the time.

Wow is been awhile, how you been ? really sad to see . Did you drive it in the winter ? Nothing showing up on mine yet but it doesn't see winters and rarely any rain so fingers crossed !!

It was definitely the winter driving that killed it. It has been on winter duty many years since I got my CTS-V. I really hate the salt they put down here in CT. Looks like I am going to keep driving through this winter and try and order car in Jan or Feb. At this point it will most likely be a Civic SI.

Back