• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

is there a way to tell differentials apart

I don't know why those dates would be there. Terry Haines saw this post and told me to correct it. YOU DO NOT WANT THE ONE ON THE RIGHT!!!! All the ••••ty diffs I've seen personally look like the one on the right. Just looking at it should tell you you don't want it.

actually, the 98+ diffs have teeth that look like the one on the left. this can be seen in these 2 threads
this one is from a 2000 and you can see the teeth look more square.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?44736-SVT-diff-f-s&highlight=diff

this thread has both a 97 and 98 diff and they both have the more square teeth as well, which is odd that the 97 diff has the squared teeth.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?53334-Cleaning-out-extra-parts&p=784681#post784681

I think the one on the right may have been an early design that changed at some point. it does have a 94 cast date after all.

Some 98's did receive the good ones like seen on the left. Those are lucky ppl. Just like any other Contour part. Never know what you're going to get. You def want the left one to be used though.

Some 98's did receive the good ones like seen on the left. Those are lucky ppl. Just like any other Contour part. Never know what you're going to get. You def want the left one to be used though.

ok, how about the one from 2000 then.:shrug:

also, those 98s that had the better diff had diffs with 97 cast into them.

Through all the discussion i figured id go back and take a second and third look at the info stamped on my differentials i posted in the original thread. Come to find out i goofed up big time and copied the info incorrectly while posting.

10 kudos to the first person to trout slap me:crazy:

all right but in other news (I have 3 differentials in all) the following pics are of the square teeth style diffy that is preferred. I will be using the one on the right because the bearing looks better (not made of plastic).

IMAG0119.jpg

I rest my case. ;)

I edited my older post but it first said something along the lines of agreeing that the teeth looked wrong, and that its possible the OP messed up. which is was willing to admit he did. so, problem solved.

So no one wants kudos to be the first to give a trout slap lol. I guess being humble counts for something on this forum.:cool:

@ striker..... I will try and get those stamps of all three as soon as I can. Today I was busy with some things. I was at the JY in search of a zetec with manual trans. Which I found so now I'm in pursuit of pulling out the final drive on it. I
Simply refuse to put a stock final drive back in. Zetec final drive + 3L = jizz and drool all over the steering wheel lol

and i went JY hunting for a zetec final drive and found this differential ($74) in a 2000 contour. (or at least that is the year sticker the JY posted on the outside of the car. Sort of forgot to check the inside of door). Anyways i lucked up and found the final drive so i'm happy

IMAG0129.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

Hi guys; can someone tell me how many teeth are on the zetec (3.84) and duratec (4.06) final drives please ?

I just want to count them to be sure of what i'm installing ... thanks ... G.

edit; i just checked what i believe to be a duratec 4.06 ring gear and it has 65 teeth.

Last edited:
... anyone know the teeth count for the FD's pleeeez .... G.

Bump. Anyone got a 3.86 FD handy they can count the teeth on pleeez ....G.

Back