• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

is there a how to for the auto dimming rear view mirror?

What kind did you get? Mine was pretty simple...ground, power, temp sensor. Routed everything down the driver pillar and wired it below.

its from a windstar.
so what wires do what? and why the need for a temp sensor?
i have black, yellow/red, and black/purple.

I installed a Gentex...auto-dimming, compass, temp, and Homelink. Ran the wiring down the passenger side A-pillar since I have a gauge pod on the other side.

I did this with the basic auto-dimmer from a newer Taurus. Just ran the pos & neg to the sunroof power feed and it works fine. From the BACK of the mirror, the connections on mine were from left to right; POS, NEG, and POS to optional auto-dimming door mirrors (which I don't have & didn't use). I used the ultra-skinny (22ga?) wiring from a set of LED driving lights and their tiny, female spade connectors (covered with heat-shrink) onto the pins, put 1 wrap of black electrical tape to secure them to the stalk, then snuck the wire into the overhead where I tied into the sunroof power wires. Except for 4" of black/red wire up against the windshield from the mirror to the headliner, it looks like a factory installed option. ;)

Don't forget, there is a wire that is supposed to go down to the reverse switch, that turns the dimming function off when the car is in reverse so that you can see behind you, I once thought "why do I need this?' then realized I needed it one night when I was reversing in a lot and couldn't tell if there were pedestrians...

Back