• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is it worth it??

FrancisPennysac

Veteran CEG'er
Im looking at an SVT wth around 160k on it.... it has a blown diff :( they want 1300 obo... is it worth it if all else is mechanicaly/electronically well?? It also needs strust and rotors but they come with car. It also needs tires and the brake light is on, along with a CEL for supposed "exhaust problem". I thought 1300 sounded high considering its a northeastern car with that kind of mileage/problems PLUS its not inspected and DOESNT move bcuz of broken diff... hell it would be easier just to 3.0l swap at this point am i right?? I know if I can even find a diff its gonna b like 500$ plus another 500$ just to install it.. so again i ask...

what do you guys think i should offer if all else is well?? My personal idea was $700ish... my reason is you can buy a INSPECTED and RUNNING SVT with like 150k for like 1500$ if u do some research... so I just wanna know whats involved in replacing the diff cost wise (rough idea) and what you guys think, with said knowledge of the car, i should offer?? thanks..

p.s.
anyone selling a trans/diff thats already built from terry by chance lol??

i just recently picked up a 98 CSVT with 170k in Maine. Needed Tranny as well. After getting it home, found that I needed rear struts and coils, rockers (badly!!) and all 4 brake pads & rotors. It has some other quirks as well, but they are all small things.

Guy was asking $700 originally, I got him down to $450. I paid $550 shipped for a low mileage tranny, and paid a shop the 10 hours to install.

I would say for the amount of work that the asking price is to high. About half would be a good starting point, but I wouldn't go much higher, imho.

I appreciate the responses guys!! I offered him 500$ b4 seeing the car.. and told him that number is subject to change of course after actually looking the vehicle over.

I am with crewchiefpro. Too much wrong with it to justify the $1,300 asking price.

My friend sold a Contour SE, 1995 for $1,450 that was running and driving with only dash lights out.

$500 would be my highest offer.

Depending on what is wrong with the exhaust, which could include cats (which I suspect it has the P0420 and P0430 codes), that could run into some money. If it has a blown diff, it is better to swap trannys, much easier that way, that could also run high.

Back