• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is it possible to ...

Pin 34 CSVT with ext. PATS 1998: free
Pin 34 CSVT with int. PATS 1999: ignition lock PATS receiver Pin 4

The good news: US PCM works, engine runs, trip computer works, heated front window works.

The bad news: got a lot of trouble codes. Ok, most of them are caused by missing parts (IMRC, 2x lambda after cat, EGR ...).
But one is rally strange: it reports that there is a short-circuit from clutch pedal switch to battery plus. I located the failure: the PCM puts out +5V at pin 64. That should be normally the input for the clutch pedal. What's wrong? PCM dead?

The good news: US PCM works, engine runs, trip computer works, heated front window works.

The bad news: got a lot of trouble codes. Ok, most of them are caused by missing parts (IMRC, 2x lambda after cat, EGR ...).
But one is rally strange: it reports that there is a short-circuit from clutch pedal switch to battery plus. I located the failure: the PCM puts out +5V at pin 64. That should be normally the input for the clutch pedal. What's wrong? PCM dead?

Congratulations!

Well if you are this far, then we at Nautilus can probably help you out with most of the codes by turning off those items in the tune such as the EGR, IMRC (unless you want to hook it up?) and the downstream O2 sensors.

The clutch...might it be for the neutral start safety switch? I think the contour has this feature for when the pedal is in it allows the car to start.
It will only work one of two ways...grounded or connected to B+ 12v.
If the pin is not hooked up the voltage will float...as in the +5V you see I guess.
Since you don't know what it needs, you have to be careful.
I would try connecting a 1Kohm resistor from that pin to ground. That will stop the voltage from floating and drive the pin low(ground) and probably get rid of the perceived "short" to B+

We don't have the clutch safety switch. The PCM is wired directly to the starter relay, not over clutch switch.

We have only the red 4-pin clutch switch. 2 pins are for cruise control and 2 pins of this switch are for the pcm (the switch in the middle of the attached PDF). That's the one where my problem is (trouble code P0704). On the pin 64 I've the +5V. I found a second SFG2 PCM ... should be here in some days ... I try it and we'll see.

When it works, I'll need your help and a nice tune! :cool:

By the way, are all my trouble codes and my engine setup:

Codes:
-P1451: EVAP-Valve failure (we don't have this one)
-P0453: failure in "fuel vapours catching system" (should be caused by P1451)
-P1409: EVR-Valve failure (removed EGR completely, incl. EVR-Valve)
-P1401: DPFE-Sensor failure (removed)
-P0141: HO2SHTR12 failure (we don't have this)
-P0161: HO2SHTR22 failure (we don't have this)
-PXXXX: no IMRC connected, and no trouble code ... WOW!!!

Engine setup:
-ST220 engine
-10.8:1 compression ratio
-ported heads, valve seats moved to the outside and set to minimum
-ST200 (CSVT) cams
-MSDS headers
-BAT Y-Pipe with high flow CAT
-Mongoose exhaust for ST200
-ST220 intake (all intake parts match, no steps between the parts)
-ST220 injectors
-65mm optimized throttle body
-stock MAF
-stock airbox with K&N drop in filter
-ST200 knock sensor
-adjustable fuel pressure regulator
-one Innovate Motorsports LC-1 on each side, simulating stock lambdas (actually programmed to work at lamda 0.94) ... would be nice to switch off the check for lambda heater (than I can remove the dummy lambda sensors)
-95 octane fuel (98 / 100 octane is to expensive for me)

... for this little changes I need a tune! :laugh:

Attachments

• clutch switch.pdf
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
hi there; glad you got it working. When you say the trip computer works.... does it read fairly accurate MPG/L figures. Which pin out did you connect the trip computer to, on the pcm ? Also; did you just connect mil eliminators across the lower 02 pin outs on the pcm ? .. thanks .. G.

hi there; glad you got it working. When you say the trip computer works.... does it read fairly accurate MPG/L figures. Which pin out did you connect the trip computer to, on the pcm ? Also; did you just connect mil eliminators across the lower 02 pin outs on the pcm ? .. thanks .. G.

The wires I changed are for PATS and AC.

Trip computer works ... maybe a little to high. It was the same before. Shows me 13.9L/KM ... 12.5 is realistic. With all this failure codes it runs a "little" rich.

No mil eliminators ... hope they can switch them off! Don't want to wire the eliminators ... would be nice to remove some wires, not to put in more.

you posted before that pin out 34 was unused. Is it used on the return fuel system pcm ? Which pin out does the trip computer white lead go to on your pcm ? ..G.

you posted before that pin out 34 was unused. Is it used on the return fuel system pcm ? Which pin out does the trip computer white lead go to on your pcm ? ..G.

You have the old PCM with ext. PATS ... a lot of wires are different to my PCM. Maybe your PCM does not have the trip computer?!

i didn't know any of the contours had trip computers. That what makes me think it is just a signal from the pcm... which ever pin out it comes from. Any chance you could post up the wiring diagrams of both pcm's for comparison.... PLEASE.... G.

We don't have the clutch safety switch. The PCM is wired directly to the starter relay, not over clutch switch.

We have only the red 4-pin clutch switch. 2 pins are for cruise control and 2 pins of this switch are for the pcm (the switch in the middle of the attached PDF). That's the one where my problem is (trouble code P0704). On the pin 64 I've the +5V. I found a second SFG2 PCM ... should be here in some days ... I try it and we'll see.

When it works, I'll need your help and a nice tune! :cool:

By the way, are all my trouble codes and my engine setup:

Codes:
-P1451: EVAP-Valve failure (we don't have this one)
-P0453: failure in "fuel vapours catching system" (should be caused by P1451)
-P1409: EVR-Valve failure (removed EGR completely, incl. EVR-Valve)
-P1401: DPFE-Sensor failure (removed)
-P0141: HO2SHTR12 failure (we don't have this)
-P0161: HO2SHTR22 failure (we don't have this)
-PXXXX: no IMRC connected, and no trouble code ... WOW!!!

Engine setup:
-ST220 engine
-10.8:1 compression ratio
-ported heads, valve seats moved to the outside and set to minimum
-ST200 (CSVT) cams
-MSDS headers
-BAT Y-Pipe with high flow CAT
-Mongoose exhaust for ST200
-ST220 intake (all intake parts match, no steps between the parts)
-ST220 injectors
-65mm optimized throttle body
-stock MAF
-stock airbox with K&N drop in filter
-ST200 knock sensor
-adjustable fuel pressure regulator
-one Innovate Motorsports LC-1 on each side, simulating stock lambdas (actually programmed to work at lamda 0.94) ... would be nice to switch off the check for lambda heater (than I can remove the dummy lambda sensors)
-95 octane fuel (98 / 100 octane is to expensive for me)

... for this little changes I need a tune! :laugh:

Well I know we can shut off the HO2s and the IMRC. Easy enough in the tune. The Mass Airflow Meter you are running is probably NOT the same as our SVT MAF so you would want that adjusted or get the MAF at the same time. However, we can tune it in once you use the Xcal3 to datalog so we can fix the rich problem.

The DPFE sensor measures the EGR flow in the tube. I don't know if we can turn it off but we'll look. We can turn off EGR but I don't know if it still looks for the DPFE sensor or not. If turning off the EGR stops the PCM from looking for the sensor then we should be able to remove all your trouble codes just with a tune.

At this point you could literally turbo your car with a kit like ours and we can tune you right up!

You need to contact our website and either myself, joey, or sales @nautilusperformance.com and reference the email, computer, and your mod list so we can start looking at it. We can then work out a deal for you if you work with us to make this an easy swap over in Europe for the PCM so that we can actually provide tuning to the poor souls who want or have bought our turbos and need a tune.

I know at least on my pre98 when i had it tuned we turned the EGR off and i completely removed the DPFE sensor and no problems or codes from doing so. since its that same basic system you shouldnt have any problems doing the same thing with the SVT PCMs

Back