• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intermittent Wiper ...

Before you do anything else, take the negative battery cable off for a while. This isn't to reset the computer or anything but I had two of the problems people are writing about in this thread - the wiper problem and the interior lights not going out - and both were fixed when I replaced the battery. I know that replacing the battery didn't fix anything but the fact that it was disconnected probably did. I don't know what got reset but my wipers worked in intermittent mode (I always had to turn them on and off to get one wipe) and my interior lights went off when I turned on the ignition. Before they'd just stay on even when I started the engine and drove away. It also fixed my car alarm problem as it wouldn't set and the dealer didn't know how it was supposed to work. It's a cheap and easy fix if it works. If not, then you can go to the dealer.
Karl

:laugh: As requested, Autozone link with wiper motor and other information.:laugh:
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1b/d0/3e/0900823d801bd03e.jsp

Edit. Also check the Central Timer located on the Passenger Compartment Fuse Box (left of steering column, under the dash, next to your left knee).

Central Timer location, 2nd picture, retangular looking box on Fuse Box, right of his left thumb.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1056473&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

From old Forums,

"The other problem was due to central timer unit. Sometimes the lights would go out and sometimes they would not. Performed the following test on the central timer unit and it failed. I have removed the "black box" until I get another from Bill Jenkins.

Testing this unit is as follows:

Testing and Inspection

INPUT TEST

Enter vehicle, latch safety belt, and close door.
Press and hold rear defroster switch.
Turn ignition switch to RUN, then release rear defroster switch.
The central timer module will actuate the chime each time one of the following inputs is actuated:
Driver's safety belt: unlatch, then relatch.
Illuminated entry actuator switch: lift and release outside door handle without opening door.
Rear window defroster switch: press, then release.
OUTPUT TEST

Enter vehicle, then press and hold rear window defroster switch.
Turn ignition switch to RUN.
Release rear window defroster switch.
Move windshield wiper switch to intermittent position, first detent position up from OFF.
Depress and release defroster switch to actuate outputs.
Depress and release defroster switch to deactivate outputs.
Outputs will activate in the following order:
Intermittent windshield wiper.
Rear window defroster indicator.
Interior lamps.
Safety belt warning indicator

Regards,
Bob" (btrautman)
anybody have a good picture of the central timer module these linky's no worky speaking of no worky I have no rear defroster no intermittent wipers and the 12 second dome stays on while the car runs 95 zetec mtx the Wintour

0900c152800a8d41.jpg

Fig. 3: The interior fuse box is located under the driver's side of the instrument panel, it can be lowered for easier access by releasing retaining clips

Autozonelink
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/re...subChapterTitle=Fuses&partId=0900c152800a8c0e

The central timer unit is under this. ^^^

And the square thing to the left of this below

0900c152800a9032.jpg

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/../..... connectors shown on the back of the fuse box
Fig. 5: ... the five connectors shown on the back of the fuse box

Last edited:
Thanks Tony
I went out and looked for it. The diagrams really didn't help much and AZ link showed nothing for me. I did find it however no need to lower the fuse box as the central timer module is located on the bottom of the fuse box. At first glance it almost looks like part of the fuse box I'll try and get some good pictures of it tomorrow .The best part is I took it out looked at it didn't see any problems put it back in and now everything seems to work :cool: but if I take it back out for some pics and it doesn't work again somebody's in trouble:rolleyes:

....The best part is I took it out looked at it didn't see any problems put it back in and now everything seems to work :cool: but if I take it back out for some pics and it doesn't work again somebody's in trouble:rolleyes:
Yes, sometimes it is due to the CTU being loose. Some have posted that removing and reinstalling the CTU makes it function again.

Back