• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intermediate Shaft Circlip?!

arin

CEG'er
Anyone know where to find these buggers? Have searched every parts store around and no one has em

Already replaced the damn driveaxle, and now probably have to replace the IM shaft too because Ford doesnt stock the circlips anymore?!

arent you suppose to replace these everytime you take the driveaxle out? none of you guys have ever taken your axle off without replacing it?!!

I just went to my local dealer, they said there were only 3 left in the national warehouse. $27 each clip.

They are supposed to be replaced each time the axle is pulled out. New axles include the new circlip but that doesn't help you if you're only removing your existing axle.

They are supposed to be replaced each time the axle is pulled out. New axles include the new circlip but that doesn't help you if you're only removing your existing axle.

correct, although generally as long as the circlip is not damaged or bent and still springs out it can be reused without issues. if however, you get the axle installed and can then simply pull it out by hand easily, the clip needs to be replaced.

correct, although generally as long as the circlip is not damaged or bent and still springs out it can be reused without issues. if however, you get the axle installed and can then simply pull it out by hand easily, the clip needs to be replaced.

Exactly. I wonder if the same thing can be accomplished by just bending the clip open a little bit? Or does that weaken the metal and allow it to bend back and the axle come loose?

I wouldnt recommend that. bending it will just fatigue the metal and could cause it to break.

If it was the same clip, it would share part numbers and probably still be available. My guess is there is something slightly different between the two.

I'd rebend that sucker and reuse the crap out of it. You don't see it fatigued from being squashed in smaller at install do you? Give some yanking to the end to make sure it does not unplug easily and then go about your merry way. I've reused those clips more than once with no problems at all. Just look at it close to verify no wear edges that could allow it to break in use, the spline cuts sometimes can be rough on the clip.

$27 apiece indeed. Those people have lost their minds.

Back